Best repair for 2-man boat hull

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a ~30yr old 2-man boat with various spots that the previous owner had repaired multiple times. I think he must have used JB weld but these repairs or at least 15yrs old. The last time I had the boat in the water was 2006 and the hull pontoons (not aluminum) filled up but the boat was still useable with 2 people. It was very heavy to drag out of the water though.

I have "been meaning" to repair it for years. I don't think any of the existing repairs are on the bottom of the hull and are more at the seams or up top where the plastic weakened and split. I need the best "stuff" to try new repairs; whatever it is will need to be plyable and the bonds last a long time. The boat is not fiber glass. I was sot of thinking some sort of plastic weld putty or the radiator repair epoxy (maybe with the fiber mat).

Can anyone weigh in who's faced a similar repairs? I used some real popular white stuff (forgot the name) on a minor jetski hull repair once but it was made for fiberglass boat hulls...this is all plastic.

Last edited:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used Flex Seal to fix a pool step a few years ago. It has held up surprisingly well. Of course, it was a top-coat to further waterproof the marine/plastic epoxy.

Go to ThistoThat.com

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's hard for anything to stick to plastic long-term, because petroleum eventually "weeps" out a bit and the plastic becomes oily on the surface.

Best bet might be to "weld" it back together with heat (some places do this, or you can attempt it yourself). Or you might apply a patch (sealed with silicone, etc.) with screws if the plastic is thick enough.

Just a couple thoughts. Luck. :drunk2:

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Auto parts stores have some glue stuff named "Seal All" blister pack, light yellow tube, that is supposed to be good for repairing 5 gal plastic gas can seams that have split which most likely is the same material. Might look at something like that for the crack itself, then something like the flex seal stuff over that after it dries to help keep it from wiggling as much to re-crack during use.

Good luck to you. You might be able to make a Flex-seal commercial. Ha Ha

Latest posts

Top Bottom