Best Steak in OKC...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you guys don't mind paying 20 bucks or so for a guy to slap it on the grill, flip it and put it on a plate?

Nope not at all. Once or twice a year with the wife, our kids at my parents, at a place with well-trained wait staff, clean and decently decorated, with the proper lighting and balance of quiet and dull white noise, and food and drink at a good selection and quality.

It's a treat, an experience; it's more than just looking at the food as healthy fuel (which is what I do about 360 other days of the year)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Other option:

Buy a prime tomahawk from Costco. Apply salt, pepper, garlic and some good butter. Sousvide at 123° for 2.5 hours. Remove, pat dry, and apply nuclear levels of heat via whatever method at your disposal.

Bingo bango, best steak around.

2 things.

Use garlic powder, not fresh garlic.

And in my opinion, leave the butter out of the sous vide. Sear in butter if you wish, or baste with butter while searing, but I find adding anything like that, especially oil-based, actually diminishes the flavor of the steak itself with sous vide.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Precisely! You guys that don't bat an eye at paying close to 30 dollars (or more :faint:) for a steak, must not hafta work very hard for your money. The steak itself costs less than 10 bucks. So you guys don't mind paying 20 bucks or so for a guy to slap it on the grill, flip it and put it on a plate?

Call me cheap, tight fisted or whatever, but that seems like highway robbery to me.

Ya never heard of splurging when ya goes to th city?
Since I grew up 75 miles from the "city", that is what we called it. Never ever have we referred to the "city" as Oklahoma city.

I'm out of my element but I've heard nothing but good things about cattlemans.

Cattlemen's is an icon of the city. Ownership was transferred in a gambling debt. Their steaks are good. I think they sear them over open flames then bake them and add butter before serving. I don't like the ambiance much anymore. It is too run down and looks like a very very old cafe with terrible lighting. Too harsh for my taste. Upstairs they have a lounge area you can sip a whiskey while waiting with seating that looks like they stole pieces of furniture from the porches of people living on 29th street. Some of the chairs are the Mid Century Modern aluminum dining room chairs from a 1950's kitchen.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have eaten at cattleman's hundreds of times in my 60 years and never had a bad steak there and the lamb fries and house salad dressing can't be beat. And yes I have eaten at mahogany,red ,Micky's and every other steak house here and several were as good as cattleman's for twice the price and no lamb fries or house dressings. I think most of the people that talk **** about cattleman's are just trying to be pretentious and act like they are above cattleman's. Eat where you like but if you think cattleman's ain't good you need to get your tongue looked at

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously, best steak I've ever had was at Castle Falls. Next best is at my house, sous vide then seared in cast iron skillet with butter and herbs...

I've eaten at Cattlemans multiple times. When the pile of inedible gristle is more than 50% of the original size of the steak, it's not a place I can recommend... The best experience I had there was the prime rib, but I've never had a steak there I would say was great. Acceptable, but not great. Oh, and I haven't had the lamb fries so can't comment on those.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have eaten at cattleman's hundreds of times in my 60 years and never had a bad steak there and the lamb fries and house salad dressing can't be beat. And yes I have eaten at mahogany,red ,Micky's and every other steak house here and several were as good as cattleman's for twice the price and no lamb fries or house dressings. I think most of the people that talk **** about cattleman's are just trying to be pretentious and act like they are above cattleman's. Eat where you like but if you think cattleman's ain't good you need to get your tongue looked at
Agreed^^^

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 2 cents is for Mahogany on Memorial, yes it can be noisy but you can request a booth (if available) and that helps. Micky Mantles puts too much butter(butter flavored oil) on a steak. Never had a decent steak at Cattleman's, kinda like sirloin stockade. Went to Ken's ( he doesn't own it any more) in Amber couple weeks ago and had the rib eye, it was huge and very good! Had some for breakfast next day.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2 cents is for Mahogany on Memorial, yes it can be noisy but you can request a booth (if available) and that helps. Micky Mantles puts too much butter(butter flavored oil) on a steak. Never had a decent steak at Cattleman's, kinda like sirloin stockade. Went to Ken's ( he doesn't own it any more) in Amber couple weeks ago and had the rib eye, it was huge and very good! Had some for breakfast next day.
I gotta get to Amber again soon

Latest posts

Top Bottom