Best Time and Place to buy a Safe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanSixer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I'm looking to buy a new safe. Is any time better than another? I'm wondering if Black Friday or some kind of Christmas deals will be my best option. Are there any stores I should keep a close eye on?

Thank ya

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The safes you'll find at big box stores around Black Friday on sale are stripped-down lighterweight versions. Safes have been watered down over the last decade or two by WalMart and the like. They pressure manufacturers to make cheaper, lighter and lesser versions. that's ok if that's what you're looking for, mainly a big heavy lockbox with minimal to moderate fire resistance.

Putting out the big bucks for a serious safe is a hard choice.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on what you want. I have had very good luck with patiently watching armslist and Craigslist for nice models.

The better built quality models don't move as fast in the secondary market but also don't show up as often. You might also have to factor in a locksmith changing the combo on a mechanical lock. Verify you have the master combo on a electronic lock that will allow a combo change.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget: Buy one at least one and a half times bigger than you think you'll need. All kinds of things will end up in the safe, especially if it's fireproof. Plus, you may just decide to buy more guns!

Latest posts

Top Bottom