1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Best Time and Place to buy a Safe

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by RyanSixer, Aug 10, 2017.

1. RyanSixer

RyanSixer Sharpshooter

Hey gang,

I'm looking to buy a new safe. Is any time better than another? I'm wondering if Black Friday or some kind of Christmas deals will be my best option. Are there any stores I should keep a close eye on?

Thank ya

2. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The safes you'll find at big box stores around Black Friday on sale are stripped-down lighterweight versions. Safes have been watered down over the last decade or two by WalMart and the like. They pressure manufacturers to make cheaper, lighter and lesser versions. that's ok if that's what you're looking for, mainly a big heavy lockbox with minimal to moderate fire resistance.

Putting out the big bucks for a serious safe is a hard choice.

3. tomthebaker

tomthebaker Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I traded a 1911 for a safe at 2A in Tulsa.

4. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It depends on what you want. I have had very good luck with patiently watching armslist and Craigslist for nice models.

The better built quality models don't move as fast in the secondary market but also don't show up as often. You might also have to factor in a locksmith changing the combo on a mechanical lock. Verify you have the master combo on a electronic lock that will allow a combo change.

5. RyanSixer

RyanSixer Sharpshooter

Thanks y'all. I'll keep what you've said in mind. I'm looking for something pretty sturdy that'll last a long time.

6. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox Sharpshooter

Don't forget: Buy one at least one and a half times bigger than you think you'll need. All kinds of things will end up in the safe, especially if it's fireproof. Plus, you may just decide to buy more guns!