Better fill up soon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It cost me $67 to fill up yesterday. My daughter just graduated from OU and drives an older Honda Accord. I told I'll buy it from her when she decides to get a new car. It will become my daily driver.
We bought a Nissan Sentra back when I was making a 36 mile roundtrip commute to work and back.
34 mpg with a great stereo system works for me vs the 13 mpg I get with the Tundra.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ya have to drive a lot of miles to get the ROI over fuel savings...lol

Depends on what you buy the vehicle for and what it's worth when you are done with it, most hold their value at a certain point. I just did a ton of shopping around recently, in the end I will need the space in my truck on nearly a daily basis, if not for my kids. However, It's honestly pretty easy to come out ahead, lots of cheap used gas savers out there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ya have to drive a lot of miles to get the ROI over fuel savings...lol

Depends on how much the initial investment was and miles driven. Our Sentra was bought used.
I travel around the state shooting matches on weekends and travel to okc/Tulsa on a regular basis. Put 130,000 + miles on it so far with zero maintenance issues other than a battery and wiper blades.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on how much the initial investment was and miles driven. Our Sentra was bought used.
I travel around the state shooting matches on weekends and travel to okc/Tulsa on a regular basis. Put 130,000 + miles on it so far with zero maintenance issues other than a battery and wiper blades.
Ok, lets assume $3.00/gal fuel and you buy a car that gets 35 mpg to replace your truck that gets 15 mpg. Average 20k miles a year driven, you'll save $2,900 in a year. If you only paid $3000 for the car, thats still a year to ROI if it doesnt start nickle and diming you.
Most go out and buy a $15,000 car to save that same $2,900 a year on fuel so ROI is 5 years (not including car value loss) at which time your car is worth about $5,000 so you lost 10,000 in equity which means you have to drive it it another 4 years to make up that loss. God forbid you buy a $30,000 car for the purpose of saving on fuel.
Buying a car for the sole reason of getting better millage with this misguided concept it will pay you, is...misguided. The math doesnt lie.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, lets assume $3.00/gal fuel and you buy a car that gets 35 mpg to replace your truck that gets 15 mpg. Average 20k miles a year driven, you'll save $2,900 in a year. If you only paid $3000 for the car, thats still a year to ROI if it doesnt start nickle and diming you.
Most go out and buy a $15,000 car to save that same $2,900 a year on fuel so ROI is 5 years (not including car value loss) at which time your car is worth about $5,000 so you lost 10,000 in equity which means you have to drive it it another 4 years to make up that loss. God forbid you buy a $30,000 car for the purpose of saving on fuel.
Buying a car for the sole reason of getting better millage with this misguided concept it will pay you, is...misguided. The math doesnt lie.

My recent comparison was....

~$50K truck gets 17mpg @ 20K miles so that's 1,176 gal of fuel at whatever the price is.

~$20K civic gets 40mpg @20K miles... so that's 500 gal of fuel at whatever the price is.

Run that by me again on how it doesn't save money? or how it's... "misguided" as you say lol.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My recent comparison was....

~$50K truck gets 17mpg @ 20K miles so that's 1,176 gal of fuel at whatever the price is.

~$20K civic gets 40mpg @20K miles... so that's 500 gal of fuel at whatever the price is.

Run that by me again on how it doesn't save money? or how it's... "misguided" as you say lol.
I already did. That comparison is just like what I used, toss in some dollar figures and you'll have it figured out ;)
Did you buy the civic "soley" to get the milage or did you want the car and the good milage was a bonus?
Oh and no where did I say "it doesnt save money". Stop trying to spin my post to fit your constant search for and argument with me.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I already did. That comparison is just like what I used, toss in some dollar figures and you'll have it figured out ;)
Did you buy the civic "soley" to get the milage or did you want the car and the good milage was a bonus?
Oh and no where did I say "it doesnt save money". Stop trying to spin my post to fit your constant search for and argument with me.

Not spinning anything you're the one that said it was "misguided" lol.... but are admitting it saves money or no? You said "replace" did you not? I was looking at Civics, used Prii and new Prii (had to look up the plural of prius) and by no means was it for anything other than gas mileage and reliability (cost factors.) IN the end I would still need a something with a bed and something to haul around the kids at certain times. I ended up keeping the truck for previously mentioned reasons and not buying something more economical. However, if I were to replace the truck with a civic or prius..... financially there would be nothing misguided about it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not spinning anything you're the one that said it was "misguided" lol.... but are admitting it saves money or no? You said "replace" did you not? I was looking at Civics, used Prii and new Prii (had to look up the plural of prius) and by no means was it for anything other than gas mileage and reliability (cost factors.) IN the end I would still need a something with a bed and something to haul around the kids at certain times. I ended up keeping the truck for previously mentioned reasons and not buying something more economical. However, if I were to replace the truck with a civic or prius..... financially there would be nothing misguided about it.
Replace could mean park it or sell it in order to drive the other one more but thats not even a factor.
Certainly its cheaper to drive your civic than your truck. I NEVER said otherwise. But I know a LOT of people who will go buy a civic or whatever for the sole reason of pocketing lots of money on fuel savings. And what I said was the ROI on that situation is a ways out, a long ways maybe, depending on the exact numbers etc. And I proved it with some hypothetical numbers. You can sway those numbers however you think might be more accurate and it wont move the needle
So yes, you will save money yearly driving your civic, no doubt. But your ROI will be a while out to catch that $20,000 cost plus depreciation etc.
If you bought the car cause momma wanted it and the good milage is just a bonus, then it's a non issue.
If you bought it solely to screw the man at the pump, your not seeing the truth.
And I'm not trying to be insulting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was a $7000 car, bought used in 2008, and I've put 130,000 + miles on it with zero repairs while not putting 130,000 miles on a Toyota Tundra that holds its value and is actually more valuable with the lower mileage on it. Your math doesn't work in my case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom