Better fill up soon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$3.28 per gallon for unleaded gasoline with 10% ethanol in Kanab, Utah. Around here, the price can jump 20 cents at a time.

Sucks to be in a town that thrives on tourists. Kanab has a population of about 5000 people, however, there are currently something like 16 hotels, motels, and RV parks here. In addition, there is another hotel currently being built and 3 more hotels are planned and possibly as many as 3 to 5 new RV parks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
QT Bumped their price to $2.69 tonight. Up $0.12 per gallon for the upcoming holiday weekend.

$2.79 in Ponca for awhile. Ponca Charges a refinery tax on fuel because they don't have to ship or pipeline it anywhere. They don't really, but there is only one jobber in town and he is looking to retire early I think. I can drive to the farm and stop at I-35 and Hwy 60 truck stop and buy it for $2.49. Filled up there today at the Pilot and got another .05 cents off using my Good Sam card.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Replace could mean park it or sell it in order to drive the other one more but thats not even a factor.
Certainly its cheaper to drive your civic than your truck. I NEVER said otherwise. But I know a LOT of people who will go buy a civic or whatever for the sole reason of pocketing lots of money on fuel savings. And what I said was the ROI on that situation is a ways out, a long ways maybe, depending on the exact numbers etc. And I proved it with some hypothetical numbers. You can sway those numbers however you think might be more accurate and it wont move the needle
So yes, you will save money yearly driving your civic, no doubt. But your ROI will be a while out to catch that $20,000 cost plus depreciation etc.
If you bought the car cause momma wanted it and the good milage is just a bonus, then it's a non issue.
If you bought it solely to screw the man at the pump, your not seeing the truth.
And I'm not trying to be insulting.
1 - a daily driver is not an investment unless you like investing to lose money.
2 - your hypothetical math is not right.
3 - depreciation does not add to the cost of the vehicle.
4 - if you bought a vehicle that gets better mileage to screw the man at the pump, you do the same screwing to the man at the pump no matter what the vehicle cost.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 - a daily driver is not an investment unless you like investing to lose money.
2 - your hypothetical math is not right.
3 - depreciation does not add to the cost of the vehicle.
4 - if you bought a vehicle that gets better mileage to screw the man at the pump, you do the same screwing to the man at the pump no matter what the vehicle cost.
your reading comprehension sucks

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
your reading comprehension sucks
No, I just interpret what you say literally.
What does ROI mean to you? A daily driver is not an investment unless you like investing to lose money.
Your math still sucks.
When you say “But your ROI will be a while out to catch that $20,000 cost plus depreciation etc.” - and depreciation still doesn’t add to the cost of a vehicle.
And this still is a stupid statement. “If you bought it solely to screw the man at the pump, your not seeing the truth”. It doesn’t matter how much you pay for a vehicle that gets better mileage and the cost of the vehicle is irrelevant to screwing the man at the pump.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$3.28 per gallon for unleaded gasoline with 10% ethanol in Kanab, Utah. Around here, the price can jump 20 cents at a time.

Sucks to be in a town that thrives on tourists. Kanab has a population of about 5000 people, however, there are currently something like 16 hotels, motels, and RV parks here. In addition, there is another hotel currently being built and 3 more hotels are planned and possibly as many as 3 to 5 new RV parks.
Jeez, I need to rethink my fuel budget. We are heading out there on the 31st. Didn't realize it was that much higher!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, I just interpret what you say literally.
What does ROI mean to you? A daily driver is not an investment unless you like investing to lose money.
Your math still sucks.
By that "logic," factory production machinery isn't an investment, either.

A daily driver is a tool of production; it enables you to get to work (and/or other things that you need to do, the rewards for which may or may not be financial in nature). Hell, even an expensive diesel truck can be an investment; it's return is what it enables.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

A daily driver is a tool of production; it enables you to get to work (and/or other things that you need to do, the rewards for which may or may not be financial in nature). Hell, even an expensive diesel truck can be an investment; it's return is what it enables.
Most factory Production machinery is not owned by the companies that use them.
Leased so they can be tax abated as a cost of doing business.
Farming the same way. Most farmers lease their equipment vs buying.
When a purchasing agent for a company many years ago, we never bought anything including forklifts. It was all leased through the manufacturer or holding companies that specialized in that business.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Again, words mean things and taking the meaning literally in financial and accounting terms:

ROI is a financial metric that measures investments that are intended to provide a return. If you buy the vehicle in hopes of it increasing value, then it is an investment.

However if you buy a vehicle in hopes to provide transportation to work so you can make money, then it is an asset or an expense depending how you want to account for the cost. Equipment can be an asset that is depreciated on the balance sheet under PP&E and not an investment that is accounted for on the income statement. You measure performance of assets using ROA and what I see is ROCE. In business, equipment does not go up in book value, it only goes down.

Or you can expense equipment (depending on the cost as I believe tax law has changed) and write it off when purchased, this is shown on the income statement under operating expenses.

Equipment and investments are 2 totally separate accounts that are not treated or accounted for the same. So using ROI to measure the value of equipment is not logical.

Latest posts

Top Bottom