Beware of License tag renewal dates if moving.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a little rant and some advise...

My wife and I moved from Tulsa to Pryor about a year ago. We were warned that we only had 7 days to go to the tag office and change our address and get new licenses that reflect the new address which we did well within the 7 days. I guess the State is needing revenues becuase the OHP was thick last week stopping every car they could on the local turnpikes. As a result, I got pulled over on the Creek at the Jenks toll booth. I did not have a clue what he was stopping me for. The trooper said that my Pike Pass did not work. Really...?!?... It sure does work, I have to put another $100 in the account every month of so. Well, then he noticed that I had it tapped to the the windshield and asked about that. I told him, I could not get the clear back off to stick it to the windsheild so I just tapped it on. He gave me a warning for that but he said my tag was expired and gave me a $250 ticket for that. The next day my wife beats a trail to the tag office to get my tag current only to find that her's had also expired. This costs us $100 penalty for each car for the tags being expired. We ALWAYS pay ALL our bills (both our credit scores are well over 800) so my wife told the tag agent that we must not have gotten our renewal notices. She told the agent that if we would have received our renewals we would have gotten them paid. The agent looked on the computer and said, "Oh they were sent to your old address". My wife's reply was, but we were in here within a week of moving to change our address and get new licenses. The agent then said, "Oh the address for your tags are different than for your dirver's license. My first thought was, Bullsh!t! You mean to tell me if I commit a crime and you have my tag number that you could not find out where I live in about a half a heart beat?!? They are tied together but unless you specifically ask them to change your tag information address, they will sent the notices to your old address. Seriously? Hummm seems about 9 1/2 months pregnant with implications of the state trying to obtain more expired tag penalties via this practice. Anyway, this fiasco has costs us $450 and I still have to go and spend the morning at the court house proving I have my tags current now. Damn, like setting a match to $450!!!

So, if you are moving be sure to ask the DMV to change your address on ALL their records. It is pretty easy to overlook something like this during a move and there is no squeak room on tag expirations what so ever. I used to like living in Okrahoma but a little of the BS goes a long way!

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of all the states I have lived in, OK has the most effed up system when it comes to driving

If you get vanity plates, you have to pay for regular tags as well as the vanity tags. Annnnnd, they each have their own expiration date. How F***ed up is that

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bummer. And this ain't exactly the time of year for having extra cash to burn.

Just replaced our tag with the new design on Dec 1st. Turns out it had expired in October, not November. Apparently I confused it with the insurance card, which expires Nov 31st.

Hopefully I haven't used up all my luck for this year...

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of all the states I have lived in, OK has the most effed up system when it comes to driving

If you get vanity plates, you have to pay for regular tags as well as the vanity tags. Annnnnd, they each have their own expiration date. How F***ed up is that

Do not even get me started on that particular load of ****. The old man has a vanity plate. You should have heard me when I found out we were having to pay for 2 tags for one car. I'm so sick of Oklahoma and it's backwards **** I could scream. The whole thing is a lot of BS ... if I had my way I'd move outta this state so fast heads would spin.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most states have a single tag on the back that is more than a regular one would be if you have a vanity plate. The system is a little different here but it ends up being the same cost in the end compared to other states, plus if someone takes your vanity plate your original one is still valid and can be used till a replacement comes in. If you hate the look of the new license plates and don't want to pay extra then get a handicap plate. I got one as my wife would constantly forget to hang the tag in the window if we stopped somewhere, was always worried about getting a ticket over that one but got lucky that it had not happened. The handicap plate cost me ten bucks initially and then once a year I just stop in and re-register it with the handicap window tag in hand... When I did it the guy waiting to do some stuff had a dumbfounded look on his face when I walked out without paying and they didn't chase after me.

I know it sucks to have tags expire but it happens, not worth crying over spilled milk is it? There is a simple solution to the problem... When you are doing your monthly light check to make sure that all the headlights, marker lights, license plate lights and tail lights are working you look at the tag expiration. If you do not do a monthly check then before long you will end up with another ticket due to a light being out. When cold snaps hit you should be doing another one since that is when bulbs tend to blow out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom