beware of Walmart online grocery substitutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people really need this curbside grocery pickup service: old people and disabled. I don't like the interior of my local Walmart store anyway. Trashy and that trashy "music" they play over the loudspeaker. I don't like standing in line and my current arthritis and heart condition inhibits my pushing a shopping cart around the store and standing for long. They are pretty fast wheeling your groceries to your car in the pickup lot though. Can't complain for lack of fast service. No more than 10 minute wait for pickup ever. You check in with your smartphone app when you arrive for pickup. On hot days I sit in my a/c car with the motor running until they come out.

You won't experience any mass shooters with curbside pickup to boot!
Please give azure standard a look and please do your best not to give wally your $, That's a biz I'd like to see brought to it's knees , Like .gub toooo damn big..
https://www.azurestandard.com/

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You got 33% less rye bread not 50%. Walmart’s not the only one with math trouble. Real world problems.
I was thinking 24 oz. was 50% more than a pound. I was basing the percentage on the more massive product I usually buy for under $2 a loaf. 50% more sounds more impressive than 33% less anyway. In other words, the sub was 8 ounces shy of my usual buy. It was no gyp though since I discovered requesting a refund for "unsatisfactory" subs.

Last edited:

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My local Wal-marts both Wagoner (smaller store) and Pryor Supercenter are frequently out of a lot of things I use. One particular brand of canned dog food has been absent for more than a week now from both stores. One cheap brand of 50cent cans of green beans for my dogs, three shelves 3-4ft wide open space empty today in Pryor. Last week on a Friday night there was not a single carton of a dozen eggs in Pryor, etc. One member here posted they had re-stocked eggs Saturday when he went in. Wagoner had no standard red Tabasco sauce last Tuesday.

Yes, they have problems. Not sure if it is their computer systems not detecting they need to order or the suppliers not able to keep up with demand, or enough truckers to deliver. But it is a problem, especially for rual people who have to drive a ways and people who can not afford or have space to keep spares handy. Could be too many suppliers employees are being paid too much to stay home and they are behind, don't know, but it needs fixed better than it is now.

I am getting closer to just biting the bullet and making the 35-40 mile drive to Tulsa to do my grocery shopping even if I have to hit multiple stores to get what I want.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My local Wal-marts both Wagoner (smaller store) and Pryor Supercenter are frequently out of a lot of things I use. One particular brand of canned dog food has been absent for more than a week now from both stores. One cheap brand of 50cent cans of green beans for my dogs, three shelves 3-4ft wide open space empty today in Pryor. Last week on a Friday night there was not a single carton of a dozen eggs in Pryor, etc. One member here posted they had re-stocked eggs Saturday when he went in. Wagoner had no standard red Tabasco sauce last Tuesday.

Yes, they have problems. Not sure if it is their computer systems not detecting they need to order or the suppliers not able to keep up with demand, or enough truckers to deliver. But it is a problem, especially for rual people who have to drive a ways and people who can not afford or have space to keep spares handy. Could be too many suppliers employees are being paid too much to stay home and they are behind, don't know, but it needs fixed better than it is now.

I am getting closer to just biting the bullet and making the 35-40 mile drive to Tulsa to do my grocery shopping even if I have to hit multiple stores to get what I want.
again cuz I do NOT like wally.
https://www.azurestandard.com/

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Timmy: "Well I do not care for wally my self". Well me too, but. However, 12mi to Wagoner WM or the other WM in Pryor 31 miles to wally or much more in miles and time to get to others in Tulsa? Yep there are great choices of where to shop within a 50 mile radius of where I live to pick up a few things I need for the next week How much time and gas do I want to spend to go elsewhere to get what I need? Yep, every ones situation is different. When I lived in Tulsa there were 4 major grocerie stores within 4 miles. . I only have a few roadkill within 4 miles of my hose on a regular basis now. . I am 11 miles to the closest loaf of bread if I would like to purchase it but it is not between 8AM and 8PM so I am SOL.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's nice you can order groceries online to pick up in the parking lot at no extra charge. They will substitute something for something else or you can specify a substitution for something when you order. I ordered generic new york rye bread online the other day. When I picked up the groceries, they "were out of" this bread and I got a loaf of Pepperidge Farm brand for the same price. The ripoff is that the name brand bread was only 16 ounces (1 pound). My generic rye, whenever they have it, is 24 ounces. I did not realize I got less bread for my money until I got home. I even like the taste of my generic rye better. From now on, I will specify a substitution for bread when I shop online. I would have rather gotten a 24 ounce loaf of generic potato bread for $1.88 than 50% less rye bread which doesn't even taste as good as what I buy ordinarily.

Walmart Online Grocery ordering needs to be improved too. The ordering system should be connected closely with store inventory. WalMart should know exactly how many loaves of a specific bread (things of Aim toothpaste or cans of Campbell's tomato soup) are on the shelves in each and every one of their stores with this being the hi-tec 21st century and all. The Wal-Mart ordering page should be able to accurately indicate what is in stock and out of stock at your own hometown wally-world you designate as your pickup store. Wal-Mart is the single wealthiest business in the world. Their stock control system should not be so lame. With computers, any retailer worth its salt should know exactly what they have on hand at all times.

Walmart calls it "Pickup and Delivery" service. It has a big inventory management flaw in it however.

I don’t know if substitutions work that way, potato bread if they’re out of rye. My wife does the ordering, but I’m pretty sure it’s like for like. Could be wrong.
I think that there may be something you aren’t considering on the inventory system, while superb, has some faults. One of those being, that they don’t account for what’s been picked up off the shelf and not yet purchased or assigned to a ticket. I.e. they’re being picked for another online order, 7 loaves are riding around the store in someone’s carts, two have been associate picked for pick-up, one wasn’t wanted at the register and is sitting below it, two were crushed by falling off the shelf and haven’t been written out of stock and 3 were stolen.
So, as you can see the tracking points of inventory control would have to move beyond “hey, we put on the shelf” and “it’s been rung up at the checkout”. Lots of moving parts and pieces to it.

Better luck next time.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, for the size of walmarts inventory, they're invontory is pretty much top notch. The problem is since COVID, they are not gettting and abundance of product like before. From the time you order to tthe time to pick up is when items go out of stock and you get a substitution.

An example of the problem is Gaviscon Liquid ant acid. THey had a recall and had to wait alonost a year for the FDAs approval of a Label change. They are still playing catchup on stock.

My favorite Bread is Natures Own Honey Oat. THey always had a low stock to begin with and is now dang near impossible to get unless you go in store and get it. With items that never seem to have a large stock always seems to sell out quick.

Wlamart has many deficiancies, but their Inventory system isnt one of them
Gaviscon should have told the FDA that it was a virus vaccine then they wouldn't have needed their approval.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can also imagine a scenario where the "shopper" doesn't see it on the shelf, and doesn't spend all that much time looking for it. Or maybe they do, but never see it. So it's there, but they report it to you as "out of stock". Just one of the casualties of trusting someone else who may not be as motivated as you would be to find what you want. </shrug>

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It’s not just WalMart. Most retailers are experiencing supply chain shortages. Expect this to last a while. If you see your favorite product on the shelf bus extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom