Bhut Jolokia AKA Ghost Pepper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
every thursday night several years back a friend who lived in arcadia had a bunch of guys come by for a night of geetar playing and drinking beer. one of the guys brought his 13 year old know it all son, i'd picked some habaneros and they were on the counter, he asked if they were hot, i told him i had once eaten a small slice and it tasted like a dill pickle for about 5 seconds and then it was miserable hot. he said he liked hot peppers, i told him i did too, and explained the day after i had eaten the slice my ass exploded and burned for hours. he said he was going to eat a whole one, i advised him to not do so, that the only person i'd ever seen eat a whole pepper puked shortly there after. he ate the pepper, instantly started eating bread and drinking milk, then disappeared for about 20 minutes, when he returned he had turnd a light green and i asked if he had puked, he denied puking...but now way you're that shade of green without puking first

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I like hot stuff, but mostly used for adding flavor and some heat to food.

I'm not one to eat crazy hot peppers, habanero is about the hottest I cook with. However, heat on my scale is different than the "average" person. What most consider hot is probably mild to medium to me.

The El Yucateca green habanero sauce is my favorite. I go through them fast enough we buy 3-4 bottles at a time. I keep a dedicated one at work for lunch.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The hottest thing I ever ate was at a Thai place in Thailand...I was pretty stupid anyway, more than a little drunk too I imagine, and showing off, and told the Thai lady to make it HOT, not all touristy-like, but HOT, like her Grandfather liked it and so...well, she did. I couldn't decide if they had doused my dish in JP-5 Jet Fuel or Napalm. I had to eat it or suffer the humility of pussin' out in front of the bunch of squids I was with. So eat it I did. It was one of the dumbest things I have ever done...it took me days to quit crying when seated in the head. I think it must have been those Ghost Peppers now, I have never attempted to eat one by itself, but since I am still kind of stupid about stuff like this, I would.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hottest thing I ever ate was at a Thai place in Thailand...I was pretty stupid anyway, more than a little drunk too I imagine, and showing off, and told the Thai lady to make it HOT, not all touristy-like, but HOT, like her Grandfather liked it and so...well, she did. I couldn't decide if they had doused my dish in JP-5 Jet Fuel or Napalm. I had to eat it or suffer the humility of pussin' out in front of the bunch of squids I was with. So eat it I did. It was one of the dumbest things I have ever done...it took me days to quit crying when seated in the head. I think it must have been those Ghost Peppers now, I have never attempted to eat one by itself, but since I am still kind of stupid about stuff like this, I would.

i have several dried now, i'll save you one, would you prefer small, medium, or large?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Small. If you're coming g to the ENS the n July 29 at gerhard1's place, bring it and I'll chow down on it there in front of everybody. That way, if I have an emergency, maybe I can get a little help to put the fire out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Small. If you're coming g to the ENS the n July 29 at gerhard1's place, bring it and I'll chow down on it there in front of everybody. That way, if I have an emergency, maybe I can get a little help to put the fire out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'd like to go to that one, but may have to wait on a more local ens

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I planted some bhut jolokias this year... haven't been out to the "plot" in a few weeks to check it out. The "plot" is a 4x8 flower box, lol. I think I'll go check them now. Never eaten one, and I tried some ghost pepper cheese a few weeks back. It was super hot but not unbearable, but it was to hot to actually enjoy. Now, the habanero cheese I tried was something GOOD. :D

I'm into pretty warm stuff, I'd say. Most others say I like it a lot hotter than them, but I don't think it's too bad. I can chew up and eat a whole jalapeno, haven't tried it with a habanero yet. Not sure I want to... the "Ghost" or the "Reaper", I think I'll pass on. ;)

<edit> No fruit on it yet. :( Nor on my ancho/poblano plant. :( Damn rabbits chewed 'em up pretty good when we first planted 'em, so I imagine that set them back quite a bit. Since I leave for 3 weeks of vaca in 9 days, I doubt I will get to see any of them "put out". Oh well... maybe next year.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the better hot sauce I've had is a WalMart offering called Mrs Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa. It actually has ghost pepper as a listed ingredient, although it's way down on the list. If you like hot sauce, you should try it. I think I'll go in the kitchen and have a spoonful.

Had 2 teaspoonfuls. Kinda hot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom