Biden DOJ announces new gun control rule

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess this means we'll have to hang onto those cheap locks that come with guns now, because I imagine the FFLs are going to want them if you ever want to sell the gun. No way they're all going to stock these things, so they'll just have a bin of all the throw away safety locks that come with the guns. Probably off the customer a free pair of earplugs if they donate their lock when they buy a new gun or something.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I read it as a safe also but the highlighted words in @MilitantBEEMER ’s post in #117 might cover trigger locks. We all might be shopping eBay for locks.
5E14C79F-D046-4DED-93F3-7D673A8B7D88.png

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This ultimately is where they want to go:
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/st...un-law-goes-into-effect-what-know/5863197001/
How do you prove if your firearm was stolen that it was stored properly? So now we are going to severely punish the victim of a robbery because they owned an evil firearm that was stolen and used in a crime.
  • If an owner violates the safe storage law and, as a result, the firearm is used to injure a person or property within two years of the violation, the injured party may bring a civil lawsuit against the owner and the court must find that the owner or possessor was negligent.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read it as a safe also but the highlighted words in @MilitantBEEMER ’s post in #117 might cover trigger locks. We all might be shopping eBay for locks.

According to the DOJ definition I quoted it doesn't even need to be a separate device. It can be built in to the firearm. S&W and Taurus (to name a few) already do that on many of their guns.

It's not going to change my behavior in terms of how I manage the guns around my house at all. My guess is it's not going to change they way ANYONE stores their guns. As I said in an earlier post...this is just pandering to a specific group, nothing more. Joe Citizen will likely never even hear of this regulation going into effect.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a link to the Justice Department's document:

Justice Department Announces New Rule to Help Enhance Safe and Secure Storage

For those afraid to click on unknown links:

"Justice Department Announces New Rule to Help Enhance Safe and Secure Storage of Firearms; Publishes Best Practices Guide for Federal Firearms Licensees

The Department of Justice today announced a new rule to help enable the safe and secure storage of firearms and published a Best Practices Guide for federal firearms licensees (FFLs). This new rule implements the existing Gun Control Act requirement that federal firearms licensees that sell firearms to the general public (non-licensees) must certify that they have available secure gun storage or safety devices. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ (ATF) Best Practices Guide for FFLs is an important resource and reference guide about federal laws and regulations.
“Today’s announcements build on the department’s efforts to reduce the risk of firearms falling into the wrong hands,” said Attorney General Merrick B. Garland. “Gun safety is a Department of Justice priority, and we will continue to take all appropriate steps to help reduce the number of people killed and injured by the misuse of firearms.”
The Department of Justice has submitted to the Federal Register for publication a final rule, which will take effect Feb. 3, requiring FFLs to certify that they have secure gun storage devices available to their customers for purchase. Secure gun storage or safety device, as defined by statute and regulation, includes a safe, gun safe, gun case, lock box or other device that is designed to be or can be used to store a firearm and that is designed to be unlocked only by means of a key, a combination or other similar means. Not all devices are compatible with varying types of firearms. Therefore, integral to the new rule is the requirement that FFLs have available secure gun storage options that are compatible with the firearms they are selling.
The final rule, published in the electronic reading room today, can be viewed here: https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection/2021-28398/secure-gun-storage-and-definition-of-antique-firearm.
In addition, today, the ATF published a Best Practices Guide for FFLs. The ATF’s Best Practices Guide is designed to assist FFLs in complying with all required firearm laws and regulations that are designed to ensure public safety and the traceability of firearms.
The Best Practices Guide also encourages FFLs to provide customers with ATF publications to help firearms owners better understand their legal obligations, as well as practical steps they can take to help keep firearms out of the hands of prohibited persons and facilitate the safe storage of firearms. Links to ATF publications addressing the following topics are included in the Best Practices Guide: procedures for FFLs to assist unlicensed firearms owners in conducting background checks for private party transfers; compliance with the Youth Handgun Safety Act; records firearms owners should maintain that can assist law enforcement if the owner’s firearms are ever lost or stolen; and the legal consequences and public safety dangers of straw purchasing – which involves purchasing a gun for someone who is prohibited by law from possessing one or for someone who does not want his or her name associated with the transaction."

Sentence number two states that it applies to FFL's and apparently not to the general public. Thus, I would guess that if an individual sells a firearm to another individual and isn't an FFL, the rule doesn't apply. Now, if one is an FFL, I would imagine that this rule would apply.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's the only way the government knows how to operate. Ignore the bad guy behavior and demonize the law-abiding with more onerous restrictions. As far as I know every dealer has been required to provide a lock with every handgun transferred since 2005.

So basically they're saying a 2nd law regulation requiring pretty much the same thing, only expanding it to long guns, will keep us safe.

This is more pandering to the anti-gun side, nothing more. This is a result of someone saying, "We have to do SOMETHING!". Well, this is something. It's completely meaningless and useless and everyone knows it, but...it's SOMETHING.

I really hate stupidity. Everyone does something stupid once in a while. I get that.

But some people make stupid a lifestyle.
How about the concept of first finding the RIGHT thing to do... and making that the 'something' that gets done? Is that "a totally new concept" that Gallagher used to sarcastically describe? Are there no individuals in all of government with multiple brain cells? Oh, never mind, that was a ridiculous question....

Latest posts

Top Bottom