Biden DOJ announces new gun control rule

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most gun shops that I’ve been to already carry some type of locking container for storing guns or valuables. The real trick is convincing millions of gun owners to use such devices. The habit of leaving guns and particularly loaded guns in places that are easily accessed by unauthorized individuals seems to be problematic. When I three year old can access a firearm inside a vehicle and shoot herself in the head, you’re going to have a difficult time in the court of public opinion that the gun owner was acting responsibly.

Edit: A simple tool box from the hardware store with an included lock would fit the definition of a safe storage device.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"gun case" Sig cases ship from the factory with two holes in them to facilitate actual keyed/combo locks. Many others do too. Problem solved.

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing really new. Most anything can be considered a secure locking or storage device. Even if they require it to be a container vs, say, a locking wall mount, they're like $20 and most dealers including us already have a ton on the shelf.

Once again, .gov failing to make any meaningful changes. If they were really interested in promoting secure storage, they'd offer a federal tax incentive for gun safes, secure gun rooms, or other storage devices. I mean why not? They literally toss them out for dang near everything else you can think of.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"gun case" Sig cases ship from the factory with two holes in them to facilitate actual keyed/combo locks. Many others do too. Problem solved.
There's really no "problem" to solve here in the first place.

If you have a teenager that takes a gun to school and shoots people you have a far more serious problem than safe storage of a firearm.

The "problem" is, the anti-gun types don't want to admit it's not the gun's fault because safety isn't really their agenda. No more guns for you and me is their agenda. "Gun Safety" is leftist code for get rid of guns...just like "a woman's right to choose" is code for "killing babies is OK".

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most gun shops that I’ve been to already carry some type of locking container for storing guns or valuables. The real trick is convincing millions of gun owners to use such devices. The habit of leaving guns and particularly loaded guns in places that are easily accessed by unauthorized individuals seems to be problematic. When I three year old can access a firearm inside a vehicle and shoot herself in the head, you’re going to have a difficult time in the court of public opinion that the gun owner was acting responsibly.

Edit: A simple tool box from the hardware store with an included lock would fit the definition of a safe storage device.

The real trick is punishing criminals for accessing guns they shouldn't access. You know...like those inside the homes of others, locked inside cars belonging to others (because the owner can't carry into a particular place because of BS laws prohibiting it), etc. I keep the vast majority of my guns locked inside gun safes. I also keep one or two handy in my home for protection. Keeping those guns readily accessible without having to defeat some "safe storage device" is something I'll continue to do. If someone other than me accesses those couple of guns they're committing some other serious crime because they shouldn't be inside my home (or my car) in the first place.

If someone is in my home (ie: grandchildren), I take reasonable precautions to balance security with accessibility. You're never going to convince me to keep the guns I use for personal security locked up. That defeats the entire purpose of having a gun.

I'm sick and tired of being punished and having my life made more difficult because someone else creates a situation where a child can get a gun and hurt him/her self.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently read in the news where a one year old kid shot and killed his dad. I also agree we don't need more laws, we need more people with common sense. When me and the wife are in town I keep my guns locked in a big locked container, I call it my house. :)

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep saying this. The purpose of gun control laws is not to reduce or prevent crime. The purpose for passing gun control laws is to make it look like we're doing SOMETHING about crime. For reasons that are obvious to all of us here it will never work, but it's a lot easier to pass gun control laws than it is to address the real problems. And it can't look to voters like we're doing nothing.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading things wrong. Maybe I've been doing things wrong, but...

I thought that FFLs were already supposed to be providing lockable options for their customers.
I got gigged on a compliance inspection several years back because I didn't have readily available trigger locks for firearms during transfers.
Have always kept them on hand ever since.

As to the times where police departments and sheriff departments give out gun locks.
Interestingly, they usually (in my experience) have a very low limit on the number of locks that you can get at a time.
I wanted 10 once and got weird looks and told I could have two and that was "stretching it."

Dave

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
received_482058603446757.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom