Big Boolits! .45-70 Content

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Slightly customized Marlin 1895G. I call it a G/SBL.
View attachment 131043
I don't have the big loop, but the wood is prettier on mine (not laminate). I do have the same rail, and mine's topped with an Aimpoint Micro T-1. Damn, that's a handy rifle; absolutely falls right against my shoulder, always on-target.

I have several boxes of Barnes TSX bullets I want to play with; I think they'd make excellent hog medicine. I've read stories of the ones (rarely) recovered expanding to .84 caliber, with 100% mass retention.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Mine had nice straight grip wood. I traded a buddy for the laminate pistol grip stock and big loop lever.

8913677E-F574-431E-A603-4EB008D52022.jpeg

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine had nice straight grip wood. I traded a buddy for the laminate pistol grip stock and big loop lever.

View attachment 131044
I'm not knocking you. If I were going to trade, I'd go straight to synthetic, like I have on my waterfowling shotguns. And bought stainless in the first place. There's definitely a time for practical.

'Course, if I were really going for pretty, I'd have ordered a 24" octagonal barrel, so what do I know?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
That’s my intent. Synthetic stock and run the MI Mlok forend.

The XS front sight leaves enough muzzle clearance for threading.

Still not 100% sure about optics yet.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s my intent. Synthetic stock and run the MI Mlok forend.

The XS front sight leaves enough muzzle clearance for threading.

Still not 100% sure about optics yet.
I love my T-1. Still contemplating a can, somewhere down the road. If I did, I'd have to develop a load for it, but the idea is certainly amusing.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my T-1. Still contemplating a can, somewhere down the road. If I did, I'd have to develop a load for it, but the idea is certainly amusing.
Hell, come to the ENS and I'll throw it in the car. I don't promise any quality of loads, but it'll give you a chance to play with the sight, anyway.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
300gr the heaviest you have loaded.
I bet you will fall in love with the thump from them.

I was at academy recently and returned a Tasco target varmint scope that got moisture in it.
I noticed they had some Nikon scopes on sale and I looked through a few of them.
I have many Nikon scopes already and really like these new ones.
I got a 2-7x32 Slug Hunter that was on clearance for $85
That scope has quick focus eye piece and a lot of eye relief.
Not to mention very clear glass

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The only lever gun I've shot larger than a 30-30 was a .450 Marlin. I reloaded a bunch for a guy right after it came out on the market. I'm not one to shy away from recoil but it wasn't pleasant on the hands whatsoever, which is a huge negative to lever guns in general imo. It was a great shooting gun and was no issue off the bench in the vise or " lead sled" though.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Far left is a Winchester factory 300 gr. HP. The rest are handloads ... 300 gr Remington HP, 350 gr Hornady SP, 405 Gr Remington SP, and 500 gr cast and powder coated. I thumped a doe in the neck at about 40 or 50 yards with either the 300 or 350 grain several years ago. Bang. Flop.

.45-70.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
300gr HP to the neck will do the trick for sure.
Powerbelt .500" diameter 295gr HP in the doe neck with muzzleloader I shot almost removed the head of the deer.
Those fragment and are very soft.
There was hide holding the head to the body that was about the size of a dollar bill no bone or meat attached just some hide.

Careful where you point those things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom