Big Boy pics. whistle video added

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why was there a standard locomotive in the train behind Big Boy?

For dynamic braking to save wear on the 4014's brakes.

I was down near McFarlin ranch when it came through, chased it to claremore, people were doing 20-40 in a 65 about the whole way. Then, I went up north of town to where the tracks cross over hwy 88. There was an old man wearing overalls yelling at people not to park in his "shot" Then he was yelling at people to stay away from the tracks even when the train hadn't even left claremore yet. I know he got flipped the bird at least once. I got a few pics of it.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some pics I took.

Photo1358.jpg
Photo1359.jpg
Photo1360.jpg
Photo1361.jpg

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Enjoyed the beautiful weather and watching an impressive steam engine pass the Tiawah crossing south of Claremore. Not impressed with the collection of morons & trespassers in the ROW but really didn’t expect otherwise.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For dynamic braking to save wear on the 4014's brakes.

I was down near McFarlin ranch when it came through, chased it to claremore, people were doing 20-40 in a 65 about the whole way. Then, I went up north of town to where the tracks cross over hwy 88. There was an old man wearing overalls yelling at people not to park in his "shot" Then he was yelling at people to stay away from the tracks even when the train hadn't even left claremore yet. I know he got flipped the bird at least once. I got a few pics of it.
So you met Cowcatcher?

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The diesel/electric is also there in case something breaks down on the Big Boy. They are running main lines, and can't block regular freight traffic.

On the UP Facebook page there are several videos of either them on a siding while a regular train goes by, or vice-versa.

Legend

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When my kids were little and still lived at home our vacations typically included caves, trains, and holidomes, among whatever local sights were at where we went to. We rode quite a few different trains over the years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom