Big game rifle options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you definitely want to stay with .30 cal, the .300 Win Mag is an excellent choice. I've had one for years. Ammo is a bit more available and more reasonably priced than for some of the others (i.e. .300 Weatherby), and there is a good variety of factory loads. If you have a $2700 budget, the sky is (almost) the limit. Put good optics ... very good optics ... on whatever you buy or build.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.300WM is great. If you're wanting a threaded barrel, then I'm assuming recoil reduction via a brake or can.

Tikka makes a great rifle for the money, and many variants of the T3X will fit what you want with plenty of money left over for the optic. Bergara's premier Highlander and Approach will also suit you well...although I did get a bit of a troubled rifle from Bergara last time. There are a lot of very good factory rifles on the $1,500 range...pick your poison.

The .30-06 is a great cartridge as well, but if you're using a recoil reduction device, passing on the extra 4-500 ft/lbs doesn't make sense to me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, there have been tens of thousands of elk/griz/moose killed with a muzzle loader, or a lever action 30-30. The Alaskan Inuit's sometimes use the 30-30 to kill polar bears as seen on some outdoor shows.
How many were lost to bad shots? Probably just as many as those with expensive guns that don't know how to shoot them if the truth were known.
I took a guy elk hunting a couple years ago with a Savage .338 Lapua using a Schmitt Bender scope that exceeded $4000.00 in cost.
He emptied a mag on an elk that just stood there at just over 400 yards with it finally walking my direction. He didn't understand shooting downhill at a 60 degree angle. I dropped it with a 30-06.
In 12 hunts the 30-06 Browning Stainless Stalker with synthetic stock has taken elk 10 times with ranges out to 590 yards. One shot kill's using Barnes 165 grain TTSX bullets. Only one bullet recovered from an elk at 590 yards under the skin on the far side.
You can't be a 100 yard range shooter and expect to hit an animal at 300 yards plus at high altitudes. All the metrics change. Temperature, air density, powder reaction to cold weather, shooting up hill, down hill and so on.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^ Love that right there animals are not bullet proof.
My cousin hunts Elk every year and takes his 7 mm Remington Mag. Many in their camp but there are
2 guys in their camp that have always brought their 30-30 rifles and always get an elk.
Just takes 1 well placed shot.
I have talked with some guys I know recently that missed deer during deer season.

Yea that happens.
I asked them if they sighted in their Muzzleloaders and centerfire rifles and bows because these guys all missed and all
had the same answer NO I did not sight it in it shot good when I put it away.
Years ago.

They do not even clean their guns!!! I seen one muzzleloader that was not cleaned 2 years of shot residue and all rusted inside.
Nickle barrel at that.

You owe it to the animal being shot at to place that shot in a vital for a clean kill.
Again they are not bullet proof.

Off my soap box.

Latest posts

Top Bottom