Big game rifle options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My man!
I want an Afrika rifle. I will NEVER go to afrika, there is nothing there I want to see, but I want something in 375 H&H or 458 Lott. Something that would have been carried by Hemingway on safari.
Id probably never shoot it, but I’d love to have one lol.
I like them big bores too, will never get to Africa but you never know when you might have to stop a charging Cadillac.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My man!
I want an Afrika rifle. I will NEVER go to afrika, there is nothing there I want to see, but I want something in 375 H&H or 458 Lott. Something that would have been carried by Hemingway on safari.
.416 Rigby is a classic, I have a few big bores that I have no use for other than there a lot fun!

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some really good replies in this thread.

I'm also a fan of the 300 winmag.

However...

If I was getting back into it today (and pretty set on a 30cal) I'd heavily consider the 30 Nosler or the 300wsm (this would be a heavy consideration if you intend to load for it). The brass really seems to hold up well on the wsm and seems to be having great success with the precision shooters. Both cartridges lack the belt of the winmag so not having to deal with that on the loading end is a plus.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My man!
I’m a big bore fan. I have a 9.3x62 and 9.3x74r and used to have a 470 Nitro. There’s a 458 Win Mag for sale on another board, and I’d love to have it but absolutely don’t need it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My man!
I always wanted a classic double rifle in 375 H&H, 416, etc. I have no use for one but ever since I saw the trophy room of a big game hunter down in Galveston I have wanted one. But then I always thought a drilling would be thrilling.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.416 Rigby is a classic, I have a few big bores that I have no use for other than there a lot fun!
Try reloading that beast with a light load of AA-5744 (40-50g) and a 300-350g CLFN-GC bullet and use it for deer hunting out to 150 yards maybe a little farther if you've practiced with it, they'll drop like a freight train hit them and won't do as much meat damage as a high vel jacketed round. I even use this load on chucks during the summer just to stay in practice.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some really good replies in this thread.

I'm also a fan of the 300 winmag.

However...

If I was getting back into it today (and pretty set on a 30cal) I'd heavily consider the 30 Nosler or the 300wsm (this would be a heavy consideration if you intend to load for it). The brass really seems to hold up well on the wsm and seems to be having great success with the precision shooters. Both cartridges lack the belt of the winmag so not having to deal with that on the loading end is a plus.
I like the 300 WSM also, does everything the old WM does but with less powder up to 200g bullet weights, I like that cartridge design so well I've created two wild cats on it, one is a 6.5 based on the 270 WSM the other is a 375 based on the 325 WSM, the 6.5 does everything the old 264 WM does and the 375 parallels old Jef Cooper's 376 Styer.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the 300 WSM also, does everything the old WM does but with less powder up to 200g bullet weights, I like that cartridge design so well I've created two wild cats on it, one is a 6.5 based on the 270 WSM the other is a 375 based on the 325 WSM, the 6.5 does everything the old 264 WM does and the 375 parallels old Jef Cooper's 376 Styer.
Umm, that sounds awesome! Really like to see some examples of your 264 wildcat. I bet that thing is as close to lighting in a bottle as a guy can get. I know and shoot with a couple guys that are die hard fans of the 264. I'm betting they would be really impressed with what you come up with.

Merry Christmas!

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Umm, that sounds awesome! Really like to see some examples of your 264 wildcat. I bet that thing is as close to lighting in a bottle as a guy can get. I know and shoot with a couple guys that are die hard fans of the 264. I'm betting they would be really impressed with what you come up with.

Merry Christmas!
I just got the 6.5 WSM operational last fall and haven't had that much bench time with it yet but it's showing good promise, 3700 fps with 95g V-Max's, 3200+ with 120g A-max on a 30" barrel, will try 140 grainers this next summer, groups have been in the 1/2 to 3/4" range so far. I also built a "Varmint" rig on a model 70 WSM action based on the 243 WSSM necked up to 264 and I'm still playing with it but it has been doing everything the 6.5/284 will do. The real "smoker" is my 26 Nosler on a model 70 "classic" action 30" barrel, I've gotten 3200+ fps with 150g bullets but it has a 7" twist and the Seirra MK's just blow up about 10-15" in front of the barrel, going to try some solid copper and bronze pills this summer and see how they work. I really like that Sierra bullet (bc in the .7's) but it just can't take the spin at those velocities, it must have been designed for smaller cartridges like the Creedoor/260 Rem/6.5-284 etc. I'll be doing a lot of range time next summer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom