Big game rifle options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about something deadly on up to elk size animals but easy on the shoulder ?

When I got into deer hunting back in the mid 80's funds were a little tight so I purchased a used Marlin 336CS with a mounted old steel tube Weaver 4X chambered in 30-30 from a pawn shop and killed several deer with it but I made the mistake of reading the gun magazines back then and was convinced that the 30-30 wasn't killing deer dead enough so I sold it and bought a bolt action 30-06 and killed a few deer with it also.

Even though I shot it well I never did care much for the recoil of the 30-06 so after a lot of reading up on it I went with a bolt action 7mm-08 and never looked back.

Having said all of that I suppose if I was going to own just one center fire rifle and had it in my mind that I might want to go after grizz one day and in a caliber that store bought ammo was readily accessible (or was pre-Covid) I'd probably go back to a 30-06.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A Mossberg 300 Win Mag in the classifieds, cheap. You could find out if you like it before spending a bundle.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted this exact same rifle this fall. I bought a 300 WM Winchester M70 Extreme Weather. I think it checks every one of your wants about $1400. Leaves you enough cash for a nice scope, I ended up with a VX5 3-15.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I remember right you have to have a cartridge starting with a 4 to be legal in most African countries.

Actually, smallest legal calibers vary by country, but it generally takes a 9.3mm (.366") or .375".

ETA: To clarify, that is for 'dangerous' game only. Some of the itty bitty critters you see could be taken with a .17HMR!

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody have any thoughts on 6.8 western? I keep coming back to looking at it. The accuracy and ballistic performance is really appealing. The lack of flexibility in bullet options isn’t super appealing, but I honestly don’t need a lot of flexibility for this rifle. Is the 6.8 western here to stay, or is it another trendy cartridge that will disappear like the SAUM’s and such?

Also, I’ve been looking at Winchester M70 vs Browning Hells Canyon vs Winchester xpr. Anyone care to elaborate on the differences? Is the browning just a gussied up m70? Is the XPR just the cheap version? Thoughts/experience on these? I was considering a browning or the m70 for the 6.8, and maybe an XPR in 223 so I can leave my current 13lb boat anchor at home.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A
Anybody have any thoughts on 6.8 western? I keep coming back to looking at it. The accuracy and ballistic performance is really appealing. The lack of flexibility in bullet options isn’t super appealing, but I honestly don’t need a lot of flexibility for this rifle. Is the 6.8 western here to stay, or is it another trendy cartridge that will disappear like the SAUM’s and such?

Also, I’ve been looking at Winchester M70 vs Browning Hells Canyon vs Winchester xpr. Anyone care to elaborate on the differences? Is the browning just a gussied up m70? Is the XPR just the cheap version? Thoughts/experience on these? I was considering a browning or the m70 for the 6.8, and maybe an XPR in 223 so I can leave my current 13lb boat anchor at home.
Another cartridge made to sell new rifles is my thought on it, just like the short mag craze several years ago. I think the .300 WSM is about the only one left that you can still find ammo for. I just stick to the old cartridges that have been with us for the last 50 or 100 years there obviously not going by the wayside anytime soon.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
A

Another cartridge made to sell new rifles is my thought on it, just like the short mag craze several years ago. I think the .300 WSM is about the only one left that you can still find ammo for. I just stick to the old cartridges that have been with us for the last 50 or 100 years there obviously not going by the wayside anytime soon.
Kinda how I am feeling about it. But it seems like a damn good round. I figure if I bought 200 with the components to load another few hundred I could be set for life with it. Considering there’s a limited number of sheep, elk, moose, and bears I’ll be shooting in my lifetime it seems sufficient. Or am I just fooling myself and setting myself up for failure?

Latest posts

Top Bottom