Big game rifle options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, .243 WSSM. It runs 100-200 fps faster than a .243 but the beauty is that it is capable of being ran in an AR-15 where the .243 cannot.
Browning/Winchester probably killed it when it was introduced in a bolt gun that had the standard feed ramps of a .243 causing a lot of difficulty when chambering a new round. Huge amount of keyboard "gun experts" before it came on the market calling it a barrel burner which it turned out not to be.
The AR feed ramps are a different angle and support the short fat cartridge.
I have two uppers, one in 1:12 for 55 grain bullets, and another in 1:8 for heavier bullets. Amazingly accurate at long ranges with their inherit limitations.
Smaller bullets are much faster with the .55 grain screaming at 4150 fps over a chrono and the 90 grain running 3400fps +/- a few fps.
I've killed deer at over 400 yards with both bullets. Currently going to try some of the 80 grain Barnes in the 1:8 to see if they stabilize and see how much additional fps can be added.
The short fat 6mm ARC has been introduced with much fanfare, but it can't compare to the WSSM in the same caliber.

Is that the gun that tried to set fire to the camo on the suppressor?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that the gun that tried to set fire to the camo on the suppressor?

If that was at the Ponca Range ENS your talking about? If so, that was a Bushmaster made Remington full camo AR in .223 after a 30 round mag dump on steel at the 100 yard range.
If it was at the 300 yard ENS, It most likely was the .243 WSSM.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, .243 WSSM. It runs 100-200 fps faster than a .243 but the beauty is that it is capable of being ran in an AR-15 where the .243 cannot.
Browning/Winchester probably killed it when it was introduced in a bolt gun that had the standard feed ramps of a .243 causing a lot of difficulty when chambering a new round. Huge amount of keyboard "gun experts" before it came on the market calling it a barrel burner which it turned out not to be.
The AR feed ramps are a different angle and support the short fat cartridge.
I have two uppers, one in 1:12 for 55 grain bullets, and another in 1:8 for heavier bullets. Amazingly accurate at long ranges with their inherit limitations.
Smaller bullets are much faster with the .55 grain screaming at 4150 fps over a chrono and the 90 grain running 3400fps +/- a few fps.
I've killed deer at over 400 yards with both bullets. Currently going to try some of the 80 grain Barnes in the 1:8 to see if they stabilize and see how much additional fps can be added.
The short fat 6mm ARC has been introduced with much fanfare, but it can't compare to the WSSM in the same caliber.
Man Dennis, that would be a fun chambering and weapon system to take to the antelope fields around Lamar Co. You could have a field day with prairie dogs, coyotes, and antelope.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man Dennis, that would be a fun chambering and weapon system to take to the antelope fields around Lamar Co. You could have a field day with prairie dogs, coyotes, and antelope.
I’d love to get on some prairie dogs with it. Several coyotes have already had a bad experience when meeting up with it for the first time. :hey3:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m pretty close to having my rifle collection completed. After purchasing a big game rifle I’ll have all the essentials, anything purchased after this one will just be “collecting”. At least that’s what I’m telling myself.

So I already have a few 308s and they work well, however, in the interest of hunting larger stuff in the future such as moose and elk, I feel that a step into the magnum realm would be a good idea. Since I already reload for two 30 cal cartridges, I feel that going with 300 Win Mag would be a logical choice, and with its timeless appeal and ability to drop anything on this continent, I think it’s about perfect.

thoughts on the caliber choice?

suggestions on the rifle? I was looking at maybe a weatherby mark 5. I figure if I can have something that’s under 8lbs before optics, threaded barrel, and weather resistant I’ll be good. I do really like wood stocks, but have a hard time getting away from synthetic just for weight and durability’s sake. I would like to keep the budget under $2700 for the rifle.
So, where are you at on this project? As the discussion started off into the weeds, I kind of lost interest and quit following along. Have you bought a gun yet? :anyone:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, where are you at on this project? As the discussion started off into the weeds, I kind of lost interest and quit following along. Have you bought a gun yet? :anyone:
Still doing research and hearing opinions. I would like to purchase something reasonably nice and be able to say it’s the perfect rifle for everything I pursue larger than white tails for the rest of my life honestly. I figure it would be smart to buy once cry once. So no rush. Purchasing the rifle will likely happen this fall. I have a S&W 917 and a hunting partner to purchase between now and June, so extra cash laying around isn’t a thing at the moment.

On top of picking the caliber, Im also weighing the options of a factory built rifle or custom built rifle. I figure for a little extra coin I could get something made by bean land or someone and I could then get it made exactly how I want it, tailored to me. I dunno. It’s pretty much wide open still.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
1645647122509.png

According to this article, you're overthinking this. You likely already own a rifle with enough oomph to get the job done. If you're ever planning an African trip, it has to be 375 or larger in some provinces, so it's a good bet to be legal with that. 416 rigby seems to be a popular caliber and more than enough for the job. And it looks like it's readily available at 100-120 a box. Make sure to buy a few boxes for your guide too, it's considered a professional courtesy.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 254634

According to this article, you're overthinking this. You likely already own a rifle with enough oomph to get the job done. If you're ever planning an African trip, it has to be 375 or larger in some provinces, so it's a good bet to be legal with that. 416 rigby seems to be a popular caliber and more than enough for the job. And it looks like it's readily available at 100-120 a box. Make sure to buy a few boxes for your guide too, it's considered a professional courtesy.
Overthinking is definitely one of my strong suits. Problem with my current 308's is that the AR10 weighs a ton, Its pretty much just a range toy, unless I'm shooting pigs from the front porch of my buddies cabin. My 308 bolt gun is a 22" howa heavy barrel in an MDT chassis. its a great rifle, but at 17lbs without a sling or ammo its a nightmare to drag around for hunting. again, pretty much just a range toy or a sit and wait type of gun. I figured that rather than purchasing another 308 in a more carryable package, I could look at ballistically superior cartridges. I rarely hunt with my 308's, as most of my hunting needs are served just fine with my more intermediate/short range selections like my 357 lever gun or my 7.62x39 bolt gun. I had originally intended on getting a lighter 308 to use as my larger game hunting rifle, I'm just making sure that I am not leaving any stones unturned. I would like to get into a few drawings for elk and sheep in the next few years, a bear is also on my bucket list. If I manage to save up the cash, I would also really like to go hunt a nilgai and red stag.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just start buying guns you want to try out and if you don't like one for some reason you can always sell it and move on to the next one.

If you buy a gun right, you can sell it without losing any, or very little money.

I doubt that very many people get their "perfect" gun on the first try. Even if it is "perfect" at the time, things and people's preferences change.

Have fun trying out as many as you can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom