Big game rifle options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m pretty close to having my rifle collection completed. After purchasing a big game rifle I’ll have all the essentials, anything purchased after this one will just be “collecting”. At least that’s what I’m telling myself.

So I already have a few 308s and they work well, however, in the interest of hunting larger stuff in the future such as moose and elk, I feel that a step into the magnum realm would be a good idea. Since I already reload for two 30 cal cartridges, I feel that going with 300 Win Mag would be a logical choice, and with its timeless appeal and ability to drop anything on this continent, I think it’s about perfect.

thoughts on the caliber choice?

suggestions on the rifle? I was looking at maybe a weatherby mark 5. I figure if I can have something that’s under 8lbs before optics, threaded barrel, and weather resistant I’ll be good. I do really like wood stocks, but have a hard time getting away from synthetic just for weight and durability’s sake. I would like to keep the budget under $2700 for the rifle.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a $2700 budget, you could probably find someone to build you a rifle to your specs. A 300WM is a good all around cartridge. I’ve had several over the years but never hung onto one long, because it’s really more than I need for the hunting I do.

I know guys who have successfully hunted elk and moose with 30-06, 270 Win and 7-08, so… :anyone:

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your going with a Weatherby rifle and moose and elk are in your plans I would probably go with a .340 Weatherby magnum. I have a couple of .300 Weatherby's but for animals that size and at a couple hundred yards in some cases a little more bullet weight and punch never hurts.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me, on this continent, nothing beats a .30-06. You can find reasonably priced ammo everywhere, even in tiny, out-of-the-way towns, and it comes in bullet weights from very light (around 50-55 gr) to very heavy (220 to 240 or heavier). And it'll work on everything from deer and antelope to the really big stuff.

I'd take one of the newer Savage rifles in -06 over pretty much anything. And then I'd spend the leftover budget on a REALLY good optic/mount.

.300Win Mag would be my second choice.

I know, I know... "OK, boomer..."

Kev1Doggy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used 300 WM and 338 WM on Elk and had good results with both. If you are planning on going on guided hunts on horseback a good quality optic like a Ziess 3x9 conquest is good. I have a Leopold VarX 3 2.5x8 on my 300WM Sako Fiberclass, it is avery good mountain rifle.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want something different that'll take down anything, then 375 H&H would be good. As long as you want to reload for it. Good for up to "medium sized elephants" it's been a choice for African big game for many many years. Not enough love for it in this area, but I have two and they are both fun.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A man who lived in and guided in British Columbia, Yukon and NW Territories told me that he would rather a client brought a light weight accurate bolt gun in 30-06 sighted in with 180 gr Nosler Partition ammo and a high quality 1.5-5x 32 scope mounted. Shoot it well with no flinch, having shot it enough prior to the trip to ensure fast reloads and solid hits in Grapefruit sized groups at ranges from 25-400 yds. He said shoot up a bunch of cheap 150 gr so you're fast and sure with that gun. Then dial in with the same box of high performance hunting ammo that 4 or 5 rounds in your gun will hold when actually hunting, if you change boxes of ammo, re check your sight in with the new box of ammo. He said Magnum recoil flinch and muzzle blast causes bad shots on game and if you break the rifle you brought, he is going to loan you his model 70 Winchester 30-06 topped with a 1-5 Leupold and sighted in 2" high at 100yds with Federal Premium 180 gr Nosler Partition.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm also in the .30-06 camp. As in self-defense, shot placement is key.

Just my 2¢ ...
drunk-gif.236411

___

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom