Bill introduced to allow teachers to carry in schools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am all for it- It will not be received well by administrators, the union and most other teachers. They have all been indoctrinated the gun is the problem, not the jerk they didn't take time to discipline. But if they can stop a shooting in any way- God Bless them. Sure, some Clete training because they are going to be in the middle of youths. In my book it's no different than many local small-town cops- how much real training have they had, but they get to carry anywhere they go.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watching some of the debate on the floor for this yesterday was entertaining and maddening at the same time.

One Dem responded with "the thought that I could walk in and kill any of my students is disturbing". If that's the first thing a teacher is thinking of, do they need to be in the classroom at all? What's to keep any teacher from walking in with a gun and shooting their students right now before this bill? Nothing. Typical dem talk before thinking comment.

-many school boards won't vote for it at all, many won't vote yes.

-it will take the right teacher and personality to carry in the classroom no matter what training they receive. When posed with the question, "can you shoot little Johnny, without hesitation and without harming other students, and can you shoot little Johnny's dad without hesitation without harming other students?", many if not most will mentally not be up to the task.

-teachers have been carrying across the country for many years now, how many of those teachers have pulled the trigger out of anger at a student? How many of those teachers have pulled the trigger on a perp?
IIRC, the first mass-killing of school students reported in the USA was committed by a school board member. With dynamite. Bath School disaster - Wikipedia

History of School Shootings in the United States | K12 Academics includes lots of shootings of individuals. Their first entry was committed by Native Americans in Pre-USA Pennsylvania.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can already carry if you're an ex cop, ex security, or know how to keep a secret. That said, I think the karens running our schools today have no business carrying a gun around kids. They're just giving the kids something to use against them and each other because they'll lose it in under 10 seconds.

However, if you can pass a weekly PT like they have for the ROTC programs (very minimal) and will do bi-yearly trainings (each semester), and have ACTUAL DRILLS to prepare for scenarios, I think it's a great idea. Everyone else gets a panic button.
I’m not disagreeing, but Do you also advocate PT, bi-yearly training, and drills for other CHL holders?

I‘ll admit to carrying places I’m not supposed to, but on my wife’s school campus definitely isn’t one of them.

OKgetdown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can we not just have trained armed security or off duty cops contracted at the damn schools? Fire a couple administrators or board members. Should pay for it easily.

Seems like they are able to secure literally every other government building just fine. I wonder why they don’t secure these buildings? Maybe to further their “guns are bad mmmkay” agenda?

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you also advocate PT, bi-yearly training, and drills for other CHL holders?
Absolutely not. But I'm trying to take into consideration the fat, sweaty rolly balls that teachers have become today and how they'd stack up against the kids aged 16-17-18 that are working out every day, lean and agile, in a rough and tumble. You see teachers knocked out over and over again today on Youtube and all the other students do is watch.

I can't say giving Mrs. BingoWings a firearm and expecting her to keep it if the teen attacks is reality. I wish it were, but I've seen too many bad things happen. Give them a panic button on campus. If they want to carry outside the school I'm all for that. Guns for everyone.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC, the first mass-killing of school students reported in the USA was committed by a school board member. With dynamite. Bath School disaster - Wikipedia

History of School Shootings in the United States | K12 Academics includes lots of shootings of individuals. Their first entry was committed by Native Americans in Pre-USA Pennsylvania.
It's illegal to own or bring dynamite to a school just like it's illegal to bring an unauthorized gun into a school so? lol.

How many of those school shootings were done by rogue teachers?

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget the Post Office for no carry. It is said that few people enter the PO without
committing a felony. Expired DL, dead beat dad, warrant, ammo in car. it's ridiculous.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely not. But I'm trying to take into consideration the fat, sweaty rolly balls that teachers have become today and how they'd stack up against the kids aged 16-17-18 that are working out every day, lean and agile, in a rough and tumble. You see teachers knocked out over and over again today on Youtube and all the other students do is watch.

I can't say giving Mrs. BingoWings a firearm and expecting her to keep it if the teen attacks is reality. I wish it were, but I've seen too many bad things happen. Give them a panic button on campus. If they want to carry outside the school I'm all for that. Guns for everyone.
Again, I don’t disgree, but the same can be said for any CHL holders. No one is immune to being attacked by a group of rogue teens at the mall or WMart, or just walking out of McDonalds, so why shouldn’t your training suggestions be just as important to everyone with a permit or that carries under “constitutional carry”?

In my opinion, you’re underestimating teachers and school officials and way over estimating the vast majority of folks carrying a gun every day. Heck, I know several cops that couldn’t pass your suggested PT requirement and barely pass their yearly handgun qualification.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just about anything would be better than what
The coward from Broward put forth at Parkland
Glad to see the pos is enjoying his retirement

165C7D4F-70F4-4776-83F6-63376DD4B0E2.jpeg

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that on the news. I’ll bet none of the school boards in the metro would give the ok. Rural boards though, maybe.

I can only imagine the outcry from the soccer mom's who claim to volunteer for Mom's Demand about this . . . I bet the various parent facebook pages will be on fire too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom