Bill would allow survivors in address confidentiality program to sign petitions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Brave browser. Stops paywall scripts dead in their tracks!

As someone who has been threatened with a gun, Nicole Poindexter would have liked to sign an initiative petition that was circulating this summer to give Oklahoma voters a chance to repeal permitless carry.

But Poindexter, a survivor of domestic violence who is enrolled in an address confidentiality program to protect herself and her children, was unable to sign the petition. Doing so, she said, would have meant disclosing her actual address.

"It’s incredibly frustrating because I want to be an engaged citizen," Poindexter said. "I want to be involved in the process, and I’m being put on the sidelines because of the actions of somebody else. I feel like I’m less of a citizen than other people."

A state lawmaker hopes to change that. Rep. David Perryman, D-Chickasha, filed legislation that would allow participants in Oklahoma's address confidentiality program to sign initiative or referendum petitions without disclosing their actual address.

"It allows those individuals to have an equal right to sign an initiative petition and not continue to be disenfranchised," Perryman said.

The address confidentiality program is designed to help protect victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking by providing them with a substitute address they can use when interacting with state and local government agencies.

The substitute address is a post office box number, which can be used as the participant's home, work and school address so a perpetrator can't find the victim through government records.

Survivors can use the address to enroll their children in school and for a driver's license, social services, child support, court documents and more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom