Binary Triggers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thread on the OSA lowers got me thinking about building another one. Thinking through what I would want to include and so forth, I saw that several of you had gone with binary triggers, so school me. Why would I want one, or why not?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To send more rounds down range sooner.
I tweaked a regular trigger of mine and ended up with one of those.
I do not like it at all.
I pulled it and noticed where I ground a little too much off the mechanism and went back with a single fire trigger.
I just need 1 shot to go where I put it and that will be each shot I send when pulling the trigger.

That releasing of the trigger sending another round for me just wastes components/ammo.

Some people like rapid firing at things and would probably love a binary trigger though.
I move my trigger really slow and gentle and can't control the second shot of a binary.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I don't like the idea of not having full control over the firearm. It seems to me that once you've pulled that binary trigger, you're now committed to sending two rounds downrange, but what if something happens that makes you want to not send that second round?

If you want a sheengun, get yourself a sheengun, don't add an intentional misfire device to your rifle, IMHO.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I don't like the idea of not having full control over the firearm. It seems to me that once you've pulled that binary trigger, you're now committed to sending two rounds downrange, but what if something happens that makes you want to not send that second round?

If you want a sheengun, get yourself a sheengun, don't add an intentional misfire device to your rifle, IMHO.

A properly designed binary trigger will allow you to switch the safety to ON if you want to avoid the second shot. Use the safety while you still have the trigger depressed, and it will not fire when you release the trigger.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is pretty much what I was thinking. I thought I might be missing some significant benefit. The idea of shooting faster makes very little sense to me. It's a bit like buying the scratch-off lottery tickets I see folks buying when I buy gas. The often repeated phrase, "gun control means hitting my target" doesn't seem to fit with these triggers and bump stocks. But, "shall not infringe" is still valid.

Thank you guys for the responses.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since @Perplexed mentioned a real one you can switch the thing on and off.
There could be instances where you may want extra rounds down range.
Bunch of hogs I came upon while hunting in February with the wife one year.
Over 30 of them relaxing under some cedar trees.

All I had was my Savage Axis bolt gun in .223.
I took out the HUGE female for the first shot and then started shooting amongst them as they sprung up like grashoppers.
I got 1 wee one and before I could get a 4th one chambered they were out of sight in the thick woods.
3rd shot was not any good.

Would the binary in an semi auto be any better than just a semi auto in that situation.
Maybe.
I have shot with my SKS at a running critter in the woods and could only get 5 rounds off before the thing was out of sight in the woods.
Missed every time and was reloading as I was heading it's direction.

5 more quick ones and out of sight again.
One last time and I got one quick to shoulder one off right in a vital and it was down.

Would a binary have helped then?

That SKS I had went full auto on me 2 times and dumped 10 rounds like I just fired 1 round off.
Probably due to my slow easy pull on the trigger.
My buddy has had it for 25+ years now and has never experienced full auto from it.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's nothing I can do better with a binary trigger over a stock trigger except waste ammo.

I also don't like that I have to think about the binary trigger, which has a different manual of arms than all my other firearms with "normal" triggers.

To each their own, get one and have fun with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom