Binoculars and backpacks Things I do not use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to carry binoculars to the hunting woods but found out it was a novelty item for me.
If I could not see it with my naked eyes I could get a good shot at it anyway.
I have a scope on my rifle if I need to glass an area.
And if I see something then I could quickly put the bead on it and drop it.

Binoculars are more weight I do not need to have.

Back packs I suppose in a multi day trip they would be good.
But for a day out I can fit all I need in my pockets and then nothing hanging off my body that can get hung up while working my way through the thickets.

I may be odd man out but I do not need much for a day trip.

Most hunters go into the woods and not more than 700 yards from their vehicle and will return at noonish or 3.
Do you really need a back pack full of stuff and a bunch of water or food.

I am there to hunt Indian style you can eat and drink later, you will not die in a day without food or water.

I am probably odd man out.
I have taken people hunting that came full New camo and high dollar back pack that weighed 20+ lbs and they could not even climb a tree with all the stuff and not a single rope or 550 cord.

Which will fit in your pockets!

Now I did take a back pack on a weekend trip to the woods though.
I suppose for a bug out bag it would be good to have one stuffed and at the ready.

Out.

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a school backpack with my outer layers. I don't hike in with them. I have a cup clipped to the backpack with water, and I might take a drink. I usually have a power bar or something in there in case the need strikes. Now in early deer bow season I carry a few bottles of water in there, do the same for summer hunts. I do carry light and heavy weight gloves when it turns colder, or I sling muff on to stick my hands in. And hat(s) as the weather dictates. But all that is in my pockets.

Our pre-hung stands have 2 hooks, no need for much else. But, the saddle has everything for climbing and setting up a new spot on it. Ground blind just carry a camo netting and trimmers with a turkey chair. Some days I carry the sit drag with me, it doesn't take much, just a good tree and a leafy suit and you are a bush below a tree.

I have flashlights with me, 1 on me and 1 in the pack. I carry calls, scents, cordage, cat hole shovel, and TP in my pack also. I have taken to bringing a solar charging battery for my phone after I got caught out and wanted help but my phone was dead. Oh, and don't forget the cough drops.

Now, my goal is under 25# to take, plus weapon. But, I know what, where, and how I plan to hunt before heading out.

Now, in real winter conditions I have taken a sleeping bag and a light gray plastic tarp and sat on the ground. The bag really helps, but I leave my boots outside the bag.

Binoculars are for preseason scouting. During season I use the rangefinder, it is 4 power.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started carrying a backpack around a while back. Has space for a lunch, water, rain jacket, cover scent, binos, and field dressing stuff. It came in handy when going for longer walks, I think my record was a 9ish mile round trip away from the truck.

but... I’ve largely gotten away from it. A knife in my pocket, a water bottle in the other, and if I need it, my 7x rangefinder gives me a closer eye. I also take shorter trips now if possible.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are days I will sit in my stand from before daylight until the sun goes down, I bring a snack and water in a backpack if I plan an all day sit. Carry my knives, tape for a tag, and its a place I can put my jacket/coat if it warms up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've paid my dues in the past, sitting on 2X4's wedged into the crotch of a tree after putting screw in steps to climb the trunk. Spending the day with zero movement, moving to another tree with the changing winds, and all that stuff.
With dues paid, I'm sitting in a heated shooting house on a reclining office chair with a shelf on the heater to make coffee, warm up cans of soup and stews, a shelf full of bottled water and future rations. Listen to the radio via the internet on ear buds, read ebooks, or watch TV on the phone on a daylight to dark sit.
I enjoy the day away by myself doing what I want and if a deer shows up, which they will, I can take or not take one. Pretty picky now in what I shoot. Has to be close to a booner.
I have several locations depending on wind direction to sit so my ancillary activities don't spoil the hunting area.
Elk hunting is a different situation. There is nothing but climbing up the mountain while watching the winds. A whole lot different type of hunting.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carry a pack and/or binos or don’t. I will always carry binos. For people that are just trying to kill “any” deer, that probably works fine, but I hunt specific bucks and want to get better looks at the ones I have on camera. Binos for me are essential for that.:anyone:

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your like me. I mostly mountain hunt and do a lot of stalking and sometimes cover miles. I travel light. Layered clothing, the best pair of boots money can buy, about 10 extra rounds, my gun, a knife, a small flashlight, compass in my pocket and a section of small rope in case I need to pull the gun up in a tree or in an emergency to aid in a makeshift shelter and that is it.

Binoculars are on the rifle and a backpack would just be hanging on everything. I don't even take the compass if I am familiar with the area or its a short trip.

Last edited:

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I walk about a mile to my blind and carry a backpack. I carry what I think I might need and things to make me more comfortable. Binoculars, extra clothes, food, coffee, water, and whatever else my pack will hold. I'm not a mountain man so I have no problem stuffing that bag!

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We stalk hunt roughly 700 acres and have multiple stock and sit points throughout our route for the day long hunts and from where the quads are parked its roughly 3 mile roundtrip then another mile back to the truck. So back pack and sometimes binos. Normally carry camelback in the back pack, a couple power bars (hypoglycemia), some rope/550 cord, a spare knife, bone saw, lighter, lightweight outer layers and bag of redman

Latest posts

Top Bottom