Binoculars and backpacks Things I do not use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to carry binoculars to the hunting woods but found out it was a novelty item for me.
If I could not see it with my naked eyes I could get a good shot at it anyway.
I have a scope on my rifle if I need to glass an area.
And if I see something then I could quickly put the bead on it and drop it.

Binoculars are more weight I do not need to have.
I am not pointing a gun at something I do not intend to shoot.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not pointing a gun at something I do not intend to shoot.
This is my other reason for binos on/in my pack, if an instance arises (and they have) where I need to glass a human being for positive ID to determine if they are a trespasser (or my boss and her family which also has happened) I do not want the only option to be my rifle scope.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good points.
I do not glass people though.
I know who is there and where they are at if I am hunting.
My problem is I have full run access to the land to do as I please, and most of the time I know if people are coming out. However since I do not own it, I'm not always made aware when others have permission to be out there. On the south end away from the dwellings where i usually hunt is where we have had run ins with trespassers and others cutting fence and coming in on our atv trails. So when I have spotted or heard an atv coming but they're 500+ yards out its easier to glass em and get positive ID then decide how to proceed

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in my tower blind once, and saw four folks walking the tree line about 400 yards away on the neighbor. Evidently they saw my blind, and decided to take a look through their scopes. Scared the bejezes out of me. Took off my orange vest, hit the floor and hung the vest out the window. After a minute or so, got up and saw them walking out of the area.
Got down, went to the neighbors place where they were all staying in the cabin, telling the neighbor what happened. He was about to throw them out, but convinced him to let me handle it. Made it into a teaching moment vs a butt chewing that I thinks actually made more of an impression. They were rookies at hunting and didn't realize the danger of scoping someone.
I don't think they ever got invited back so that has been my one and only known experience of being scoped while hunting.
There may have been other incidences but I didn't know it.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to carry binoculars to the hunting woods but found out it was a novelty item for me.
If I could not see it with my naked eyes I could get a good shot at it anyway.
I have a scope on my rifle if I need to glass an area.
And if I see something then I could quickly put the bead on it and drop it.

Binoculars are more weight I do not need to have.

Back packs I suppose in a multi day trip they would be good.
But for a day out I can fit all I need in my pockets and then nothing hanging off my body that can get hung up while working my way through the thickets.

I may be odd man out but I do not need much for a day trip.

Most hunters go into the woods and not more than 700 yards from their vehicle and will return at noonish or 3.
Do you really need a back pack full of stuff and a bunch of water or food.

I am there to hunt Indian style you can eat and drink later, you will not die in a day without food or water.

I am probably odd man out.
I have taken people hunting that came full New camo and high dollar back pack that weighed 20+ lbs and they could not even climb a tree with all the stuff and not a single rope or 550 cord.

Which will fit in your pockets!

Now I did take a back pack on a weekend trip to the woods though.
I suppose for a bug out bag it would be good to have one stuffed and at the ready.

Out.

I carry binocs when hunting so I don’t point a loaded weapon at something before I can identify it. Glassing with a scope violates rules of gun safety in my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom