Binoculars and backpacks Things I do not use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I struggle with this on a fishing trip...The boat sits outside (covered) so I don't leave many things except boat stuff (anchors, ropes, etc.) in the boat and each time I go out, I have pack up not only my tackle, food/drink, but also my day pack stuff. I find myself bringing binoculars, a spot light, walkies, first-aid kit, etc, and I often wonder if it is more trouble than it is worth. I suppose it depends on the trip, but the goal was to just have a single pack with everything I could need, but for a day-time bass trip, I struggle between knowingly bringing more than I need, and the extra work of re-packing with only the things I do need, and setting the other stuff aside. One way makes for more bulk and room, and the other makes for more hassle and work.

I even compromised and went to smaller binocs but then I wonder if the larger ones would be better "if" needed on water.

How do you all handle this (swampratt especially)?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I struggle with this on a fishing trip...The boat sits outside (covered) so I don't leave many things except boat stuff (anchors, ropes, etc.) in the boat and each time I go out, I have pack up not only my tackle, food/drink, but also my day pack stuff. I find myself bringing binoculars, a spot light, walkies, first-aid kit, etc, and I often wonder if it is more trouble than it is worth. I suppose it depends on the trip, but the goal was to just have a single pack with everything I could need, but for a day-time bass trip, I struggle between knowingly bringing more than I need, and the extra work of re-packing with only the things I do need, and setting the other stuff aside. One way makes for more bulk and room, and the other makes for more hassle and work.

I even compromised and went to smaller binocs but then I wonder if the larger ones would be better "if" needed on water.

How do you all handle this (swampratt especially)?
I don’t know how you like to stow your gear, but in my canoe I just keep a waterproof duffle bag with my essentials in it and paddles bunjee corded to the side. When I load the boat up, the bag goes in the truck. When I put the boat on the water, bag goes in boat. If it doesn’t get used (usually it doesn’t) then the bag just gets thrown back where it was stored. Keeps things simple, only one thing to move. When hunting and fishing, I try to keep everything organized in Rubbermaid boxes. Box comes out of storage, thrown in truck, and when I’m done, I throw box back in storage. Rather than juggling odds and ends; it’s all in larger boxes or bags that are easier to move or store. In the overlanding community a lot of people use the rule of “out of town in 45 minutes”. That means cooler packed, truck fueled, and gear loaded up. This is typically achieved by having everything in boxes and ready to load up. Sometimes you gotta buy duplicates so you’re not moving gear from box to box depending on your trip, but it’s worth it and makes life easy.

in terms of paring down on unnecessary stuff, I typically take everything I need for a few trips, make note of what doesn’t get used, and take all of that stuff out. I have to sit back and ignore my brain saying “what if” though. I have a few essentials that don’t ever leave me, like my recovery gear and first aid, but almost everything else is on the chopping block on a regular basis.

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Believe it or not but my nephew and I got stopped by a warden in 2013 on our way back to the ranch after an unsuccessful hunt. When I asked him why he stopped us he told me we both were getting tickets for pointing a firearm at someone. I asked him who it was we were pointing our guns at and he said it was him. During our hunt right at dawn we saw a vehicle stop on the county road and shut its lights off. Suspicious activity I thought and we both looked through our scopes to see if we could identify who, what or why. It was at least 1 1/2 miles from us. We didnt know it at the time but it was the warden and he was looking at us through a spotting scope. He gave us both quite the tongue lashing and then proceeded to write me a ticket. My nephew was only 15 and he got a written warning. My charge was eventually dropped after talking to judge. I told the judge that we were guilty because we were. It's one of the commandments-never point a loaded or unloaded firearm at anything you are not capable of or prepared to shoot. But at that distance?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you all handle this

My boats are in the back yard and you will hurt yourself getting to about anything in the back yard.
Stockade fence and not a single small gate.

I do worry about stuff being stolen when I am at a camp ground so my tackle box and poles go inside with me.
I am not worried about my battery or first aid kit or jug lines or life jackets walking away.

I did not even think about using Binoculars on the boat!!!
Those will be added for the next trip.. That should make finding my jugs much easier or chasing the birds.

Thanks for the enlightenment @sh00ter

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My boats are in the back yard and you will hurt yourself getting to about anything in the back yard.
Stockade fence and not a single small gate.

I do worry about stuff being stolen when I am at a camp ground so my tackle box and poles go inside with me.
I am not worried about my battery or first aid kit or jug lines or life jackets walking away.

I did not even think about using Binoculars on the boat!!!
Those will be added for the next trip.. That should make finding my jugs much easier or chasing the birds.

Thanks for the enlightenment @sh00ter
Chasing those big blues that take that float completely under water for a long time is why I carry some good glass when jug fishing.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chasing those big blues that take that float completely under water for a long time is why I carry some good glass when jug fishing.

I have had that happen even at Tbird.

The biggest fish I chased was on a 2 gallon jug in my Canoe on the Arkansas river.
Had a buddy with me and only paddles.
The fish took the jug under and we began the chase and it popped up 50 yards up stream.. stroke stroke stroke.
we gained on it and about 10 more feet to go and it went under again.

We kept on course and never let up on the paddling workout.
The jug came up 100 yards in front of us..CRAP! We poured it on to try and catch it.
Many minutes later and we never seen the jug surface again.

May have been a big one that never knew he was hooked and went to rest under a rock or on the bottom for the rest of the day.

We have hooked fish in that river you can't turn and done it more than a handful of times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom