Bird dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm in a bind for another bird dog. I need one quick. I lost a dog over the winter and the other just had an ACL surgery and while the vet expects her to make a 100% recovery by mid November, I'm still worried and don't want to push her too hard.

If anyone here knows of someone that's got an older dog that needs a new home for whatever reason, let me know. Please know this dog will go to a loving home. The dog will NOT be beaten or shocked. I've never done that to a dog and I'm not going to start. The dog will always be well cared for and loved. Whether it's house dogs or working dogs, my wife and I take them all to the vet minimum annually for a checkup. They're always fed premium food and live in great conditions. This dog will be hunted and challenged, but rewarded.

I'd really like to find a dog whose owner has just become too old or physically challenged for the rigors of upland bird hunting. Preferably a dog that's 3 years or older. I prefer this because with less than 90 days, I don't know that I can get a pup trained. I usually don't turn a dog out until they've been with me for a while. I don't care where this dog is in it's hunting experience. While I'd prefer a dog that's hunted before-be it full blown hunt, point, retrieve or simply had birds shot over-I'll gladly take a dog that's raw but still has "it."

I know this may be a pipe dream, but I have to try before I overpay for a pup. I don't care about gender, location or price (within reason-don't tell your uncle I'm stupid and desperate and will pay $1500 for his flea ridden dog that won't point).

By the way, I'll gladly take the "finder" of such a dog on a quail or pheasant hunt as a show of gratitude. I'll even clean all the birds and let said finder keep all the birds.

Thanks.
Ryan
405-517-5613

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're interested, I have a 1yr old female (fixed) german shorthair pointer that we can talk about. Let me know, I'll PM you my cell number just in case.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Join the Lab rescue groups on facebook. There are several dogs in Edmond at heartland lab rescue and even more in Tulsa at Lab rescue Inc. they have plenty of labs looking for a good home. I bet you can find just what you are looking for and save a dog at the same time.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Labs are really good duck dogs.He is looking for a quail and pheasant dog.Like a Brittany,german short hair,pointer or English setter.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Labs are really good duck dogs.He is looking for a quail and pheasant dog.Like a Brittany,german short hair,pointer or English setter.
Labs work really well on Pheasant as flushing dogs.I've hunted behind several labs in NW Ok on Pheasant. Not so well on quail, but they are great retrievers as well.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree they are good flushing dogs and many are good retrievers.I just never had much use for a dog that didn't point reliabley.I can flush and retrieve, I think most quail hunters want a dog that is bred to point.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over the weekend I took home a young pretty and sweet GSP from a fellow member (thanks amcardon). My 9 year old GSP that's recovering from ACL surgery didn't think she was so sweet. I feared for the safety of the pup (not many living things are as fierce as a pissed off older female GSP) and unfortunately took her back. It's odd because Star has never been aggressive towards other dogs before. I've hunted her with probably 100 different dogs over the years. I don't know if she's grouchy because of the surgery or if she was feeling threatened that she's being replaced. Because of this, my dog search is temporarily suspended. My main focus now will be completing her rehab and getting her in shape for November 11.

And for the record, labs aren't upland dogs and anytime someone wants to bring their lab to hunt with me and Star I tell them no. Just so everyone knows I'm not a total hater, I suppose if you have 8-10 people to walk a quarter section of milo or wheat stubble with blockers on the ends, it would possibly be acceptable to turn out a lab so long as they don't run too far in front of you. Still, labs ain't birddogs!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Over the weekend I took home a young pretty and sweet GSP from a fellow member (thanks amcardon). My 9 year old GSP that's recovering from ACL surgery didn't think she was so sweet. I feared for the safety of the pup (not many living things are as fierce as a pissed off older female GSP) and unfortunately took her back. It's odd because Star has never been aggressive towards other dogs before. I've hunted her with probably 100 different dogs over the years. I don't know if she's grouchy because of the surgery or if she was feeling threatened that she's being replaced. Because of this, my dog search is temporarily suspended. My main focus now will be completing her rehab and getting her in shape for November 11.

And for the record, labs aren't upland dogs and anytime someone wants to bring their lab to hunt with me and Star I tell them no. Just so everyone knows I'm not a total hater, I suppose if you have 8-10 people to walk a quarter section of milo or wheat stubble with blockers on the ends, it would possibly be acceptable to turn out a lab so long as they don't run too far in front of you. Still, labs ain't birddogs!

She wasn't happy with the pup on her home turf I'm sure. Neutral meeting location for them to get to know each other may have been in order, just like when she was hunting with other dogs and she did fine as you stated. My lab walks along next to me when we pheasant hunt......where he belongs until a bird is down then he brings it back lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom