Bird feeder poles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad lived into his 90's and he lived where his back yard backed up to the woods and had several pecan trees in this yard. He always had a dog usually a rat terrier mix. He spent many hours training these little dogs to kill snakes, he would find non poisonous snake and through it on the dog, he said once the snake bit the dog, he became a snake killer right quick! They would go to the garden with him and take care of any snakes they ran across. He liked to watch these dogs try and catch squirrels, he said they would taunt the dogs, and knew exactly how far they could get from a tree, and still make it back before the dog could catch them!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not gotten the new pole yet but a bigger problem has come up. We now have a big hawk hanging around. It likes to sit on the fence right buy the bird feeder and the wife is pissed. Any idea on how to scare off a hawk but not the little birds? I do not want to hurt it since I know he is just looking for a meal, but the wife wants it gone.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not gotten the new pole yet but a bigger problem has come up. We now have a big hawk hanging around. It likes to sit on the fence right buy the bird feeder and the wife is pissed. Any idea on how to scare off a hawk but not the little birds? I do not want to hurt it since I know he is just looking for a meal, but the wife wants it gone.

Post paper copies of some of your "special ladies" out by where the hawk sits.

(Yeah, I know. I'm not much help.)

Maybe just walk out towards him when he comes in and lands. I would imagine that if he thinks you will come for him every time, he will find other places to hunt.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best to place bird feeders near a tree or bush that the birds can escape or get cover from the predators. That is unless cats use those to their advantage.

After we began feeding birds my wife asked why are there so many hawks and owls around? I told her that we have created a target rich environment.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best to place bird feeders near a tree or bush that the birds can escape or get cover from the predators. That is unless cats use those to their advantage.

After we began feeding birds my wife asked why are there so many hawks and owls around? I told her that we have created a target rich environment.
If I get it to close to a tree, the squirrels jump from the tree to the feeder. I have it just outside jumping range.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to you guys I used an a gift card to buy the pole. I thank you and the little birds thank you. It came in today and I put it up this afternoon. Birds were all over it within 15 minutes. I used the top 2 hooks for the seed feeder and suet feeder. Put the water dish up high and left the other stuff off. Works great and was easy to assemble.

I am going to buy a black slinky to put on it. Hopefully it will not rust so fast. Nice thing is the way the pole is made, it will be real easy to change slinkys if I need to.

Thanks to you guys I took care of all but 4 things on my wish list. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Post paper copies of some of your "special ladies" out by where the hawk sits.

(Yeah, I know. I'm not much help.)

Maybe just walk out towards him when he comes in and lands. I would imagine that if he thinks you will come for him every time, he will find other places to hunt.
Enlarge a photo of Nancy Pelosi and hang it on the bird feeder! I guess that would scare the little birds off as well, and you would have a bat feeder?

Latest posts

Top Bottom