Bird Poop Etching in my paint!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a dark blue BMW, and recently just found a bird had taken a dump on the hood.........Unfortunately, it was there several days before I noticed it....

After cleaning it up, noticed the crap had etched into the clearcoat apparently..

Anybody had any luck getting this out? I'm assuming some light compound using a machine buffer ??

thanks.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I normally start with a polishing compound or all in one on an orange pad and then assess from there. Once I find the right combination for that one spot, I will determine if I need to correct more of the car with that combo or if I bump to the next softer pad or milder compound.

If the etch is deep, you may end up at a compound and orange pad before you can start working back toward polishing again.

I love dark colored cars when theyre freshly detailed and in the evening hours, but I will have to wait until I retire before I own another one. Im a little too OCD about not seeing imperfections in the paint.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try to get it off as soon as possible but as you say sometimes you don't see it for a while. Took my wife's F-Pace to the carwash last fall and was spraying bird poop and yep took the clearcoat off. Ended up having to have it repainted, once the clear coat comes off it has to be resprayed to look right.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try to get it off as soon as possible but as you say sometimes you don't see it for a while. Took my wife's F-Pace to the carwash last fall and was spraying bird poop and yep took the clearcoat off. Ended up having to have it repainted, once the clear coat comes off it has to be resprayed to look right.
ouch!

Latest posts

Top Bottom