Bison hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many here have done a Bison hunt? What was it like? A search shows like @surjimmy and @DRC458 have but I couldnt find a thread about it...just a mention.

I like the idea of it...and all the meat, and the hide...but vids on Youtube make it look like just walking up to a herd of cattle and taking your pick from 20 yards. Are there ways of going about it to make it more sporting than just a meat processing adventure?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, buddy and I did it in Feb of 2008. The first challenge was finding the herd. Then, pick out the one you want. Then, get a clear shot at that one in particular. To be fair, it was probably more like a 30 to 40 yard shot. I used the 458 WM simply because I had hauled it all the way to Zimbabwe and never shot anything with it. I don't remember for certain which bullet I shot. I think it was either a 350-grain RNSP or maybe the Remington 405-grain FP. As soon as you put one down, you move in to run off the rest of the herd. They can ruin a hide by trying to get the critter you shot back on his feet. I got a nice looking rug and "European" skull mount to show for it. Oh, yeah, and meat ... lots of meat. I think that was the last year they did Bison hunts on that ranch because of drought conditions. I know they suspended them for several years and I think they gave up the idea entirely. Was it worth it? Hell, yeah. But, I wouldn't spend a lot of money to do it again.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I killed a couple cows a few weeks ago that got some kind of terminal toxicity from eating acorns. Does that count?!?:anyone:
I used a 1911 in 45acp.:thumb:

Sure, that counts! 'Specially since they wuzza chargin' you cuzza them psychedelic acorns! One shot kills, I hope!

Latest posts

Top Bottom