Bitcoin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where will it go from here?

• Total voters

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm long on crypto with the caveat being that I'm long on Proof of Stake winning out vs Proof of Work (ETH, BTC, other traditionally "mined" cryptos). Mining isn't sustainable. Period. When it takes 800kWh to process a single transaction that isn't remotely sustainable. BTC is lucky in that it was first, and has garnered the most press and thus benefits from early adoption. Cheap gains are easy and thus BTC and ETH are winning in the Market Cap sense but that's borrowed time as far as I'm concerned.

Ethereum is considering a hard fork away from Proof of Work and moving to Proof of Stake similar to coins/tokens you are seeing now like Cardano/ADA, Helium, Figure, etc...so I'd be heavily considering moving into proof of stake based networks where you are rewarded for staking your coins on the network/ledger. FWIW I'm long on the ADA/Cardano train but there are several coins that offer very competitive returns that make traditional savings vehicles look more stupid than they already are.
I read an article that one guy/gal only mined in the winter and did it on a level to offset heating cost or some crazy **** like that.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Problem with Proof of Stake is only whales get to participate. Small fries have to band together. They're requiring 32 ETH to be staked, I think... I'll never be close.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're going to have to explain to me what you mean by that. Because that doesn't make sense to me.
The value of gold hasn't changed in thousands of years because it will always be worth almost exactly what it costs to mine it, plus the wages for the miners. So there's this inherent link between the value of gold as it relates to labor.

The value of currencies relative to gold change, and the value of goods and services change because of the availability of resources and new technology, but the fundamental value of gold hasn't really changed, when tracked over long periods of time.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The value of gold hasn't changed in thousands of years because it will always be worth almost exactly what it costs to mine it, plus the wages for the miners. So there's this inherent link between the value of gold as it relates to labor.

The value of currencies relative to gold change, and the value of goods and services change because of the availability of resources and new technology, but the fundamental value of gold hasn't really changed, when tracked over long periods of time.

I'll respectfully disagree with your opinion. The definition of "value" is relative worth, utility, importance, fair return, etc. The gold ring I bought my wife xx years ago is most certainly more valuable now if we were to sell it for currency. If the **** hit the fan and currencies meant nothing gold would most certainly be even more valuable on a whole new level.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll respectfully disagree with your opinion. The definition of "value" is relative worth, utility, importance, fair return, etc. The gold ring I bought my wife xx years ago is most certainly more valuable now if we were to sell it for currency. If the **** hit the fan and currencies meant nothing gold would most certainly be even more valuable on a whole new level.
That all depends on when you bought it. If you bought it in the late 70s, definitely not. If you bought it in the late 90s then yes. That's the value of the dollar changing, though, not gold. There's definitely some arbitrage there, but over time gold's value stays the same. It's a hedge against inflation, as opposed to an investment.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Right. Gold is only a stable way to preserve wealth as long as you can keep the gold. It is a good medium of exchange as well.

An ounce of gold will buy a good rifle today - just like it did a couple hundred years ago.

Woody

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right. Gold is only a stable way to preserve wealth as long as you can keep the gold. It is a good medium of exchange as well.

An ounce of gold will buy a good rifle today - just like it did a couple hundred years ago.

Woody
I usually hear people compare it to a fine set of clothes throughout the ages, but I like your basket of goods better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom