Black bear hunting in SE Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Public Landowner

New to the site!
Reaction score
Never posted before, but have been passively enjoying the hunting forum for a couple of months. Been in OK for ten years, but just in last couple have been brushing up on the wide range of hunting opportunities in the state. Coming from Texas, I was really surprised by how much is available to everyone, not just in variety of species, but also all the WMAs and PHAs.

Been getting motivated to find a black bear hunting opportunity in SE OK for 2 years now. There is virtually zero info available on the web. I have emailed and talked briefly with a wildlife biologist. I was able to squeeze some very basic info out of him regarding places I may have a decent chance to spot a bear in LeFlore county. Didn't do much good as it turns out. Planning to get back out to the Rich Mountain area in the spring and do a little more scouting. I also tried to track him down when I was in the area, but that office around Talihina was closed. He was able to tell me that the black powder quota of ~20 bears has not been met since the season started several years ago. Most likely because it overlaps with BP deer season. He also told me the vast (80%+) amount of bears killed in the state are shot on private property because they can be baited. I thinking hunting the USFS land interests me most, but I'm just looking to get in a foot in the door. He also mentioned that a decent amount of the private land hunting was being done on timber company land and they do lease out some land to hunting clubs. I tried contacting WEYERHAEUSER (biggest one in the area based on my limited research) directly with no luck and also browsed the interwebs for hunting clubs.

Needless to say I've come up dry. Getting frustrated for sure, but trying not to lose hope. Does anybody have any info they'd be willing to share? At this point any info on private or public opportunity would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the essay.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome, just my take from personal experience. In order for a half way decent chance at a bear....

-you need to be as far east/southeast as possible
-bait heavily on private land
-pray for a cool first week of October
-get it done with archery equipment when season opens

Seems like the guys that I've talked to that have killed them down there, kill them pretty much yearly, and keep a pretty regular feeding routine with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom