Black Bears Near Ada?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've lived in bear territory for nearly half my life. I've seen a lot of bear scat around my place in the mountains in Colorado. I had no idea there might be bears near Ada. But this was in my driveway yesterday morning (I spread the nugget in the lower right with a stick):

View attachment 276315

That looks like lots and lots of black bear scat I've seen in the past, especially for early in the season when the berries and such aren't ripe yet. Looks like whatever left this might've been in some bird feeders, too. I thought maybe coyote, but it's completely different and there's no little critter fur in it. It doesn't really look like coyote scat anyway.

Here's a reference photo from the North American Bear Center website of early April bear scat:

View attachment 276319

I'd love to think there might be a black bear running about around my place. They really are fantastic and beautiful creatures and they're amazing to watch.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have...several times. Dozens of times as a matter of fact. Not with my kids, but with my dogs which is probably worse because Terriers wanna fight everything. They were regular, nightly visitors to my place for over 20 years and never caused an issue. I've never felt threatened by a black bear. I'm not saying they can't be dangerous... But you and your kids are far more likely to be harmed by a neighborhood dog than a black bear.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was reading on the OK DOW website that they have been spotted in Ada and there's a healthy population in the SE area of the state and the western end of the panhandle. If they're in those places it's not unreasonable to think they're not in other areas of the state. It said the population is increasing by about 6% per year.

Personally, I think they're pretty cool. I give them their space but I've never been worried about them. Black bears are generally very avoiding of people. Brown bears, on the other hand, are not.

I've only seen a grizzly once in Montana. From about 200 yds away, across a river. I watched it from a rest area on I-90 between Missoula and Butte. Even from that distance and relatively safe vantage point it was impressive. Ex got a grainy cell-phone picture of one in Idaho near Kooskia. As much as I was out and about in the back country up there I never saw one.

And no, I didn't experience this one first-hand.

But, I did photograph this one from inside a tour bus at Denali National Park back in 2005.

She is digging for a Ground Squirrel. Tour guide told us that the bear will expend about half of the caloric value of the Ground Squirrel just digging it out.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Terrier that would do that...

DSC_0040 (2).JPG

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep...they can be pretty aromatic, that's for sure. When I worked for the SO in Colorado bear calls were a routine thing in spring, summer and fall. In the kitchens, garages, animal pens you name it...even cars. Most of the time it was as simple as just opening a door and giving them some space and they'd leave.

I've got some game cameras on order. I'm really hoping to get some pics or video of this guy.

Might put out a "pick-a-nick" basket. It's been known to attract some not so average bears..........

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep...they can be pretty aromatic, that's for sure. When I worked for the SO in Colorado bear calls were a routine thing in spring, summer and fall. In the kitchens, garages, animal pens you name it...even cars. Most of the time it was as simple as just opening a door and giving them some space and they'd leave.

I've got some game cameras on order. I'm really hoping to get some pics or video of this guy.
A friend was on a vacation trip in Estes Park CO with some female friends. Their vehicle, a Suburban IIRC, was totally torn up by a bear while parked overnight at their hotel. It seems that just the smell of any food they had consumed in the vehicle during the day was enough to attract the bear. Door handles were torn off & windows broken as the bear pursued the food smell in the SUV. That was one hungry bear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom