Black Friday - I can't believe I'm actually going

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, while doing some work in the gun room today, I had a moment of inspiration and found that I had just about the perfect amount of space underneath a wall mounted TV to put a medium sized tool chest there that I can use for gun cleaning supplies, parts, and other random misc. stuff. My pile of stuff is getting cluttered and I need to organize it somehow. What better way to do that than to buy a toolbox on Black Friday! haha. I found a pretty fair deal on a Husky tool chest/top box combo that I'll be picking up at Home Depot tomorrow.

Secondly, the motor on my garage door opener is very worn out, and hardly functional at this point. So I'm going to buy a new opener and convert garage door from chain drive to belt driven. The only issue I see is that I'll need some new angle iron to mount the new motor, as my current garage door was installed with custom cut pieces that only fit that motor. Any replacement opener I install will require a new mount to be fabricated. It shouldn't be too difficult, but unfortunately HD doesn't have any angle iron kits in stock. I'll have to wait a few days for that to arrive before installing the door.

1.JPG

Could've bought a new gun for the money, but his is probably smarter in the long term!

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll like the upgrade on the opener!! If it has "myQ", you can also use your cell phone to operate the door from anywhere in the country. Plus, the belts are a lot quieter than the chain and you shouldn't ever need to adjust it.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is too freaking weird... I have actually this week bought BOTH of these same things. I got these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079H23418/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_sphWFbYFCX7XD

And

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-5-drawer-mechanics-cart-red-64061.html

The tool chest comes in red, white, black, blue, yellow, green and orange, all at 199.
Haha, that's pretty weird!!! I just did some reading on your tool cart, that thing is a steal at only $200! Congrats.

On a side note, I did find that Lowes has some zinc-plated, perforated, angled steel that will work perfectly to fab up a new bracket. About $15 worth will do the trick, so I'll pick those up tomorrow.

Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll like the upgrade on the opener!! If it has "myQ", you can also use your cell phone to operate the door from anywhere in the country. Plus, the belts are a lot quieter than the chain and you shouldn't ever need to adjust it.
Yeah, it has the MyQ feature. Honestly, that isn't what sold me on it. I knew I wanted to try a belt drive, only because of the noise factor. I do sometimes though get that feeling that I left the garage door open when I leave the house. A few times it's been strong enough to make me turn around and go back just to check. To this day, I've never left it open, but maybe that app will put my mind at ease.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks @tyromeo55! I was wondering if it did or not, but did not see anything in description on the HD website stating such. I'll hold off on buying the perf steel for now. I appreciate it.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There should be some perf steel angle in the box. You might check b4 you buy something special
No problem. On page 15 of the manual to appears that you get two pieces for the vertical hangers but they don’t include a third for the horizontal that attaches to the deck.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it has the MyQ feature. Honestly, that isn't what sold me on it. I knew I wanted to try a belt drive, only because of the noise factor. I do sometimes though get that feeling that I left the garage door open when I leave the house. A few times it's been strong enough to make me turn around and go back just to check. To this day, I've never left it open, but maybe that app will put my mind at ease.

I'm the same way with our garage door. I installed a meross Wi-Fi opener that has helped greatly reduce that paranoia. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm the same way with our garage door. I installed a meross Wi-Fi opener that has helped greatly reduce that paranoia. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
short story about a garage door app:
I left the house and got down to the corner and thought I forgot to close the door. I opened the app and could see it was open, so I closed it.
I didn't know that I really had closed it, and my wife had opened it and was just now leaving, so when I closed it, the door came down on her car and damaged the little roof antenna.
DOH!

Latest posts

Top Bottom