Black Kettle WMA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Due to several years now, of illnesses, not to mention no access to good spots close, I’ve not gotten to go deer hunting in nearly 20 years. This year, after the year I’ve had, my son and I are gonna give BK WMA a try. I’ve talked with a couple friends who gave me some “good spots”. Anyone headed out there this rifle season? If so, would love to meet up and bs a bit.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
You and everyone else will be out there. Including me and my hunting partner. We hunt out there every year. Get ready for the pumpkin patch. It's usually loaded up with folks. I'll be in the beat up Toyota if I can get the heater core done in time.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You and everyone else will be out there. Including me and my hunting partner. We hunt out there every year. Get ready for the pumpkin patch. It's usually loaded up with folks. I'll be in the beat up Toyota if I can get the heater core done in time.
Whatchu mean “pumpkin patch”? Tons of blaze orange heads everywhere?

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunted Black Kettle for 15 yrs in my younger days. After a couple seasons gave up the pumpkin patch and took up bow hunting. Bullets bouncing off the tree your sitting against has that effect. Might have 10 people on the whole thing during bow season. For many years would have my season limit before rifle season. But I hunted for meat not antlers, though i did take a buck every year. Back then deer meat was necessity to cut grocery bill with a large family.In my opinion it is not as bad today as it was back then. Best of luck to all and Happy hunting.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were hunting public land, I would look at the OLAP map and try the newest additions. Chances should be better that you won’t encounter the same crowd size as an established WMA. :twocents:
Most of the olap land that I’ve looked at was bow and shotgun only. Would be worth looking into though.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of it is under utilized. I would get a good map and spend at least Saturday of opening weekend just doing recon on parcels and number of vehicles. Take a notes so you can pick a few to scout and hunt more in depth.
I have a friend of family that they go every year 4-7 men each year for deer camp. They rarely see someone from another hunting party. It isn't a freezer filler hunt for all of them, but usually around 50% of them harvest a buck and they all have a great time.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cleaning out the shop today ran across these nothing impressive but were all taken at Black Kettle with a bow.

Attachments

• 20201106_132035.jpg
    20201106_132035.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 134

Latest posts

Top Bottom