Black powder pistol laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not that it has to be 'not larger than .45", it's just that it has to be smaller than .50 caliber.
"Q. What kind of firearms can be carried openly under the new law?

The state-issued permit will detail the type of pistol its holder is authorized to carry, but typically the law allows for the open carry of derringers, revolvers and semi-automatic handguns.

The pistol must have a barrel no larger than .45-caliber and must be less than 16 inches long."

https://oklahoman.com/article/37244...o-know-about-oklahomas-new-open-carry-gun-law

:drunk2:

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TITLE 21 § 1290.6 PROHIBITED AMMUNITION Any concealed or unconcealed handgun when carried in a manner authorized by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and when loaded with any ammunition which is either a restricted bullet as defined by Section 1289.19 of this title or is larger than .45 caliber or is otherwise prohibited by law shall be deemed a prohibited weapon for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be punished for a criminal offense as provided by Section 1272 of this title or any other applicable provision of law. In addition to any criminal prosecution for a violation of the provisions of this section, the licensee shall be subject to an administrative fine of Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

Rather than depending on an article in the Okahoman written is 2012, I went to the latest version of the law, 2020.

I can't find anything in the law itself that regulates the size of the barrel. The only thing I can find is that the ammunition is restricted to .45 or smaller.

That does not stop one from carrying a sabot round.

The .50 or smaller restriction is for hunting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom