Blackhawk .357 Need info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric_Williams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so an elderly family member gave me some of his guns when he moved to an apartment and I’m trying to figure out what this one is worth.

From the serial number it looks like it was made in 1972 but other than that I don’t know much about it. Any help would be appreciated

606FD296-D546-4459-B948-4086300E4656.jpeg
71FB8F77-1BF4-4104-AE00-6DB17453C1C8.jpeg

RugerSooner

Speedy Gonzalez
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently dealt in Ruger Blackhawks, but I'm in no way an expert. It looks like you have a six inch model with some bluing wear in spots. These older models dont have a transfer bar safety which could be a positive or a negative depending on whose buying it. If it were me, I would try to get anywhere from 400 to 500 for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's one of the old 3 screw models. I bet it would be worth more in a higher caliber, but maybe around 500 bucks or so for yours. Old guns don't necessarily translate into added value.

If you ever want to shoot or even load it, be sure to do so safely. Hammer at half cock for loading and hammer down on an empty chamber.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is indeed a 3 screw and it'll bring more than a newer one. Especially if someone did not put the transfer bar "upgrade" in it. The 3 screws cycle smoother and they make four clicks when ya cock em. 4 clicks just sounds cooler.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, good ole 3 screw. Usually find them in pawn shops for 400-500. Load all 6 chambers, put it on safety cock and carry on.

Pull the grips off and see if theres a makers mark on the back side of them. There are some old hand made grips that have a high value.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
... Load all 6 chambers, put it on safety cock and carry on.
Completely opposite of the manufacturer's safety warnings! Unless it has the conversion parts in it, 5 loaded and hammer down on an empty chamber is the ONLY safe way to carry these old Rugers, just like the old Colts they were copying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom