Blazer brass ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is Blazer brass unusually thin walled? Specifically, .45ACP? I shot some mild handloads through my 1911, and couldn't believe how dinged up the brass was when I picked it up. I've shot Blazer brass in both 9mm and .40 S&W and the case mouths were never banged up this badly. Granted, some of it landed on concrete, but so did the 9mm and .40 S&W. Anyone else notice this?
20180108_100453[1].jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know what brass is tough. Steel.
You can hop it up..I have reloaded aluminum cases also.. 9 times before the primer pockets began to show signs of leaking.
That is brass you do not mind not retrieving.

I have not had Blazer do that to me but my gun is a Hipoint and the chamber is fat and it never harms my cases.
Leaves them a little blackened in spots but that is fine.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think it has anything to do with the pistol. The brass just seems to be so darn 'delicate!' Probably won't get many reloads out of it before it starts splitting at the case mouth.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What brand 1911 do you have?
That looks like standard dinged mouth brass from a mil-spec 1911.
Opening, lowering and beveling the ejection port like most newer upscale models have
will stop that.
Of course you probably wouldn't want to do that is it is a USGI collector type piece.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It IS a mil-spec Springfield Armory 1911 - just a shooter - nothing special. It hasn't been shot a lot, but I don't remember the brass ever being dinged up that badly before. Maybe it has and I wasn't paying that close attention. It would be nice to see if the modifications you mention would alleviate/ improve that problem, but it's probably not worth the expense!

Latest posts

Top Bottom