1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Blue River

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by CoronaBorealis, Nov 6, 2019.

1. CoronaBorealis

CoronaBorealis Marksman

Rating
    100%
    I'm planning to go to the Blue River this weekend. I usually go alone or with my wife, but my 3 year old desperately wants to go with me this time. Are there any stretches of the river where it would be safe for her (with a wide bank for example)? I spend most of my time fishing there and not enough time exploring :D

If not, I was thinking of going to Watonga with her. Is the fishing there pretty good? Since it's a lake i'm thinking the bite wouldn't be as good. If I wanted to go fishing with her and not catch anything, I'd just go to Thunderbird haha

2. rswink

rswink Sharpshooter

Before they start charging to use a public lake

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

3. CoronaBorealis

CoronaBorealis Marksman

Rating
    100%
    Kansas also charges an entry fee to some of their lakes and they tend to be better maintained, so I'm not opposed to entry fees as long as the product they provide improves.

4. rickm

rickm Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You might want to check on the Blue river area before coming im on the south end of it and suppose to have some flooding in the area tonight and tomorrow so dont know what it will look like by the weekend.

dennishoddy likes this.
  5. SnowCamo

SnowCamo Sharpshooter

What part of Blue River do you usually go to?
    I normally go to the section around Tish/Milburn. There’s a little room around the low water bridge but like Rick said it may be rolling this weekend. It’s been raining most of the day.
    The upper end of this section has some really pretty areas to run around but it’s a little walk to get there. I’ve pulled my kids in a wagon. That’s not too bad til the hill to the parking lot on the way back.

6. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I've never been there, but it's on a bucket list of Oklahoma places to visit. I'd like to take the RV and stay a week or so.

7. Eagle Eye

Eagle Eye Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I've spend a lot of time at the Blue river.
    Hang a left (go north) before you get to the low water crossing and drive until you run out of road. Stick to the right once the road forks. You will find a camping area there. The banks up and downstream from that spot are pretty wide and flat. Not sure what the water level will be like. Its a great place to spend time. Have fun

SnowCamo likes this.
  8. CoronaBorealis

CoronaBorealis Marksman

Rating
    100%
    I usually fish north of the Highway 7 bridge. Mostly brushy bank and rocky waterfalls.

Thanks. I'll try to find this on Google earth.

9. SnowCamo

SnowCamo Sharpshooter

I’ve never fished off of highway 7 but the place Eagle Eye mentioned is a good one.

10. CoronaBorealis

CoronaBorealis Marksman

Rating
    100%
    Went to the Blue River today (sans my little girl). Water was murky and pretty high. Fishing was slow. Caught four fish over 5 hours, and an additional one that got away.

dennishoddy likes this.