Boat Motor Break-In Period

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I gots a question for yuz guys in the know. I’m basically a nautical neophyte having purchased my first boat, a 18’ Nitro Fish and Ski with a 115HP Mercury Two Stroke toward the end of last summer. Shortly into her maiden voyage all of a sudden it would barely run so put it back on the trailer and hauled it back to the dealer. Long story short when they were going over the engine they managed to kink an oiler line and it galled two of the pistons. Yikes! 😱 dealer is Larry’s Marine out of Wichita Falls and a standup place. They completely rebuilt the engine so basically it’s a brand new motor needing to be broken as if it rolled of the production line last week. Now the problem…..or so I’m told. Because everything has yet to be broken-in it’s very tight and not wanting to idle which makes pulling up to a dock or loading on a trailer a challenge as it wants to die every time I shift into gear either forward or reverse. So! Here’s my question. Would it be acceptable to run it in my driveway for an hour here and there to help with the process and if not do you have any other suggestions? Yes, I understand time on the lake is best but that’s not always possible. Also any idea of how long it could take before things settle?

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Even though it’s a 2-stroke and not completely broken-in it still should idle well enough for low speed operations.
I think you’re being too kind to Larry’s. I’d let Mercury Marine Customer Service know the complete story about Larry’s Marine.

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Tell 'em to replace it with a brand new motor. Tell them they can take that other piece of crap and do what they want with it. Why didn't they discover this like you did before they tried to shove it back to you?

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even though it’s a 2-stroke and not completely broken-in it still should idle well enough for low speed operations.
I think you’re being too kind to Larry’s. I’d let Mercury Marine Customer Service know the complete story about Larry’s Marine.
Ditto. Let Mercury custom service know and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING concerning this engine.
That means every conversation or service. It will pay later. Sorry for your troubles.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Are you talking about a brand new boat less than a year old?
If so I'd have one foot up the dealer's butt and the other kicking the door at Mercury Marine Customer Service until they got it right. If the rebuild was due to their incompetency I would be very suspect of any further work they did and be demanding a new engine.
They got one chance to get it right and screwed the pooch.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carbeirated ? or Fuel Injection? I'd run some gumout and or Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas.
Gummed up fuel system is an outboards biggest enemy. I have a 454 carbed engine that has
had stabilizer and berryman's run thru it every season. Same carb today and never rebuilt since 1996.

Latest posts

Top Bottom