Boat Motor Break-In Period

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my Nitro, last month. Break in is 10 hrs, <4000 rpm, and vary the rpms every couple of minutes. According to the service manager. Though my motor had 42 hours on it, the first 2 trips, I followed break in. Tomorrow, will be a different story.

I am not a Mercury mechanic or dealer, but have had, used and abused outboards for 50+ years.

I believe you fixed the issue with your idle adjustment.

20230506_130152.jpg
20230506_130127.jpg

Waurika Lake all weekend. Come on out and fish. Kiowa I boat ramp.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I gots a question for yuz guys in the know. I’m basically a nautical neophyte having purchased my first boat, a 18’ Nitro Fish and Ski with a 115HP Mercury Two Stroke toward the end of last summer. Shortly into her maiden voyage all of a sudden it would barely run so put it back on the trailer and hauled it back to the dealer. Long story short when they were going over the engine they managed to kink an oiler line and it galled two of the pistons. Yikes! 😱 dealer is Larry’s Marine out of Wichita Falls and a standup place. They completely rebuilt the engine so basically it’s a brand new motor needing to be broken as if it rolled of the production line last week. Now the problem…..or so I’m told. Because everything has yet to be broken-in it’s very tight and not wanting to idle which makes pulling up to a dock or loading on a trailer a challenge as it wants to die every time I shift into gear either forward or reverse. So! Here’s my question. Would it be acceptable to run it in my driveway for an hour here and there to help with the process and if not do you have any other suggestions? Yes, I understand time on the lake is best but that’s not always possible. Also any idea of how long it could take before things settle?
As long as you have water muffs on

Latest posts

Top Bottom