1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Boiler Room

Discussion in 'Site News & Feedback' started by Dale00, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Dale00

Dale00 Sharpshooter

As things stand the Boiler Room Forums are 100% invisible unless a member makes the effort to subscribe to one or more of the discussions.

Why the total invisibility? Would it not be adequate to make the forum visible to all and allow the individual to decide whether or not to click and read? After all it is clearly labeled, "Conversations too hot for the general forums" or something similar.

In my case I am left wondering why "Faith Based Discussions" are so offensive that they must be exiled to a distant island far out of sight on the mainland. I image this feeling is shared by many of the users of the Atheist forum.

If someone gripes about something offensive just tell them, "Hey you chose to click and read - don't blame us, it was your free choice"

All I'm asking to to be put on "the wrong side of the tracks" , if you will, instead of being exiled to Pitcairn Island.

2. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I stand to be corrected by the new owner, but as I understand it, the forums are to be more family friendly. Contentious posts, politics, and Hot topic discussions are to be moved into the boiler room where a casual user can't see them.
    You have to be a registered user, and not a lurker that isn't registered.

3. GUN DOG

GUN DOG Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I can't find it even when I am logged in

4. Okuma

Okuma Crocodylus Pontifex Staff Member

Administrator
  5. GUN DOG

GUN DOG Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    just found it

6. RidgeHunter

RidgeHunter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm sure MaddSkillz and IndVet have just taken their chats about Sam Harris to PM by now.

:D

7. RidgeHunter

RidgeHunter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I like that you have to join them, tho I couldn't figure it out at first. I also like that they are not visible to the public.

Hopefully they will be laxly moderated, since people have to make the conscious effort to join, IMO they can leave if they don't like it.

I wish the title "politics and hot topics" was a little broader, tho.

8. Dale00

Dale00 Sharpshooter

One vote in favor of keeping the boiler room invisible and one vote against. But of course the only vote that matters is your's Okuma Steve.

9. Fly

Fly Sharpshooter

I agree keep it invisible. I visit many boards & it can really disrupt good forms. Even though I do read those politic views
    but rarely argue, just read. Many can't just do that.

Fly

10. Dale00

Dale00 Sharpshooter

Freedom of speech and the press can also be upsetting. Putting aside the fact that this is Okuma Steve's house and he makes the rules, your comment is essentially the same thinking that creates "free speech zones" on college campuses.
    There are discussions going on right now in general topics in which people are angry with each other. The mods will have to decide whether or not to move those discussions to the boiler room. I do not envy them having to be censors.