Bolt closes tightly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve come across an issue I am totally stumped on. While chambering my reloads in my Savage 111 300 win mag, the bolt closes really tight. I tried factory loads, it closes smooth, very noticeably different. With the factory, I can close it with my thumb and index, with the reloads it takes all fingers.

I have mic’d literally every possible place on them that I can think to measure. The only spot that has a difference, is base to shoulder. On the factory ones I have (Norma), they measure on average 2.197. On the reloads (mixed headstamps) they average 2.224. Surely that doesn’t make much difference?

Any ideas?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Check the case length as well (base to mouth) and make sure they're trimmed. That shoulder dimension difference can be an issue if your chamber is on the tight side (like a match chamber). Neck dies and the like will not reshape the shoulder in many cases.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...Are you running it all the way to the base? The shellholder should barely touch the die base when the ram is all the way to the top. It sounds like a headspace issue at the shoulder, and not the neck. Take a sharpie or better, a dry erase marker and mark the entire shoulder. Chamber it all the way and extract and see what the marks look like or what the shoulder looks like. You may have to run the case into the die several times depending on the manufacture and how annealed the brass is.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have mic’d literally every possible place on them that I can think to measure. The only spot that has a difference, is base to shoulder. On the factory ones I have (Norma), they measure on average 2.197. On the reloads (mixed headstamps) they average 2.224. Surely that doesn’t make much difference?
That's a .027 (27 thousandths) difference. Quite a bit on what's supposed to be a fairly precision fit.

:drunk2:
___

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would mean the brass is stretched, aka over used, aka trash?
No, not really. The brass expands normally, but if your die isn't resizing the shoulder correctly you can have issue. If this brass is reloaded several times, it'll be work hardened and needs to be annealed, dirty dies or too much lube on the shoulders can cause issues, or your die setup is too short to size the case properly. I'd check die setup and make sure the case lube is dried and run several through the die 2-3 times and check them again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom