Bolt closes tightly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the same problem 30 years ago when I was loading 7mm mag. You might want to look into getting small base dies With a collet. Your problem is probably just above the belt on the case body.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had issues with .223 sticking.
Standard procedure by RCBS is to run the sizing die to full extension where it touches the shell plate, run it back to the top and give it 1/8 turn to establish cam over.
What was happening is that the "cam over" while sizing a round wasn't actually at full stroke. Cam over was taking place before the die made a complete sizing.
Upon consultation with RCBS they said to run the die down to the shell plate and give it 1/4 turn vs the 1/8 in the instructions.
My issues went away.

Kev1Doggy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had issues with .223 sticking.
Standard procedure by RCBS is to run the sizing die to full extension where it touches the shell plate, run it back to the top and give it 1/8 turn to establish cam over.
What was happening is that the "cam over" while sizing a round wasn't actually at full stroke. Cam over was taking place before the die made a complete sizing.
Upon consultation with RCBS they said to run the die down to the shell plate and give it 1/4 turn vs the 1/8 in the instructions.
My issues went away.
Can you chamber your fired round back in your rifle after you shoot? Is it hard to chamber or easy? If easy you screwing up your brass with your dies. Check and make sure you have the right dies, when you say Norma do you mean 300 Norma mag or 300 win mag Norma brass?

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve come across an issue I am totally stumped on. While chambering my reloads in my Savage 111 300 win mag, the bolt closes really tight. I tried factory loads, it closes smooth, very noticeably different. With the factory, I can close it with my thumb and index, with the reloads it takes all fingers.

I have mic’d literally every possible place on them that I can think to measure. The only spot that has a difference, is base to shoulder. On the factory ones I have (Norma), they measure on average 2.197. On the reloads (mixed headstamps) they average 2.224. Surely that doesn’t make much difference?

Any ideas?

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve come across an issue I am totally stumped on. While chambering my reloads in my Savage 111 300 win mag, the bolt closes really tight. I tried factory loads, it closes smooth, very noticeably different. With the factory, I can close it with my thumb and index, with the reloads it takes all fingers.

I have mic’d literally every possible place on them that I can think to measure. The only spot that has a difference, is base to shoulder. On the factory ones I have (Norma), they measure on average 2.197. On the reloads (mixed headstamps) they average 2.224. Surely that doesn’t make much difference?

Any ideas?
Check COAL's make sure your bullet is not jamming into the rifling, this can cause severe pressure spikes.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same problem 30 years ago when I was loading 7mm mag. You might want to look into getting small base dies With a collet. Your problem is probably just above the belt on the case body.

Yeah, didn't think about belted mags. They are a little different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom