Bonhomme Richard burning in SD...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is always a "fire watch" assigned to the welder and in any adjacent spaces. It could be that some of their suppression systems were in maintenance though I'd expect to have contingent solutions discussed, approved, and implemented. There are AFFF systems in the vehicle decks, hanger deck, and flight deck as well as specific systems for magazines, fuel storage and transfer locations, and hazmat storage locations. It's a full time job just maintaining readiness on the systems before training and repairs. All that before you get to the regular fire stations and repair lockers.

I heard it was a barrel of "tool cutting oil" that exploded once things got going. Last word was they have two team advancing towards the main fire.

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad sent me this info. He said, “She was a tough ol ship. I spent 8 months at sea on her once. Last ship I was ever on.”

Dad is 82 so that would’ve been some years ago. Lol

The current Bonhomme Richard is 23 years old according to USA Today report

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5424436002

There have been 5 Bonhomme Richard named ships in the US Navy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Bonhomme_Richard

Any idea which one of the more recent ones he was on? (I'm assuming probable CVA-31)

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter's best friend is a sailor aboard that vessel. I also have a niece stationed is San Diego, but she's aboard the USS Abe Lincoln. What's funny is, my niece was on the USS Essex, that was replaced by the Bonhomme Richard. So technically, she should probably be on it, but for some reason, she was put on the Lincoln. I guess it's because the Abe Lincoln showed up in San Diego back in January while the Richard didn't arrive until April. I dunno.

Last edited:

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom