Book recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before I make some book suggestions, I have the following suggestion.

OP writes: “I also like to read military non-fiction but it’s harder to find good ones on the Libby system for Tulsa area.” Assuming the OP is checking out eBooks or audiobooks, my wife and her relatives’ solution to local library limitations is to share their user IDs and passwords/PINs. This way my wife has access to the electronic offerings of libraries in California, Oregon, Connecticut and New York.

Fiction:

“The Profession” by Steven Pressfield, near future mercenary companies, politics, warrior’s ethics.

“The Cartel” by Don Winslow, Mexican drug lord escapes prison, puts bounty on DEA agent that put him behind bars. Sequel to “The Power of the Dog”.

“The Fear Index” by Robert Harris, thriller based on high finance, flash crash, artificial intelligence still sticks with me. Mixed reviews, especially from those who liked “Fatherland, Enigma, Archangel, or Ghost”.

‘Drone” by Mike Maden, high tech security, off the book actions, politics, terrorism, revenge. Good enough to rate three sequels.

And if you need something light-hearted, the plays of Oscar Wilde, the word play can’t be beat.

Military Non-Fiction:

“Personal Memoirs of U.S. Grant” by U.S. Grant, universally rated as one the best, if not THE best memoir by a US general. Written as he is dying of cancer, in hopes future sales will support is wife and family. Originally edited and published by Mark Twain.

“Memoirs of General William T. Sherman” by W.T. Sherman, every time I re-read it, I pick up something topical. Can’t say how many times he mentions asking for coffee, sugar and socks, so when Covid 1984 hit, I laid in 15 lbs. of coffee. Someone should do a study on how coffee won the US Civil War. The latest pick-up was this from the last chapter, Military Lessons of the War: “Every attempt to make war easy and safe will result in humiliation and disaster.”

“A Soldier’s Story” by Omar N. Bradley, does a good job of describing the politics, choosing between tactical options and logistical constraints. Good maps make the troop movements easy to understand.

“Crusade in Europe” by Dwight D Eisenhower, a higher-level view than Bradley, interesting to juxtapose the two versions. Also has good maps.

“Double-Edged Secrets” by W.J. Holmes, first-hand naval intelligence in the Pacific, intramural conflict in the intelligence communities, code breaking, moral issues of not acting.

“The Good War” by Studs Terkel, oral WW II histories from a broad range folks, E.B. Sledge (With the Old Breed) to as I recall it a woman working in manufacturing hoping the war will last long enough for her to make enough money to buy a refrigerator.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Any of the ‘killing’ series by O’reilly. These don’t lean one way or another, just facts from what I can tell. The Reagan one left me with a little disheartened feeling about Reagan. Killing the Mob was good. Currently on the Killing Lincoln one and have Killing Kennedy waiting.
Really enjoying killing Kennedy. Just getting into it but so far lots of lead up and history on the Bay of Pigs invasion and the contentious relationship between the Kennedy’s and LBJ.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

"It is the classic fallacy of our time that a moron run through a university and decorated with a Ph.D. will thereby cease to be a moron."

H. L. Mencken. Copied from orangevale's post. So very true...........I've met a few, including professors.

Sorry about the bold font. I could not get it to change????

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

"It is the classic fallacy of our time that a moron run through a university and decorated with a Ph.D. will thereby cease to be a moron."

H. L. Mencken. Copied from orangevale's post. So very true...........I've met a few, including professors.

Sorry about the bold font. I could not get it to change????
"Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before." - no apologies necessary for going bold[ly] 🤣

Last edited:

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read a few since I last updated this one. A few of the Alex cross series. Just about done with that entire series now. Started the terminal list series and LOVE it. Read without remorse. It was just OK. Kinda long for my taste.

I would highly recommend reading OutLaw Platoon by Sean Parnell. It’s about Afghanistan and is one of the best books I’ve read this year.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s where I heard about it. I guess my only complaint about the podcast/book was the spoilers!
I started listening to it on Sunday. I actually started listening to the latest Longmire novel first, but there were parts I couldn't hear in the truck, so I switched to Outlaw Platoon when I stopped to fill up. Man, his story starts out with kind of a sucker punch, doesn't it?

At any rate, I'm about halfway through it, and you're right, it's a terrific book.

Latest posts

Top Bottom