Book recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything by Michael Connelly. The Harry Bosch series is awesome. The Mickey Haller(Lincoln Lawyer) books are good also.
ETA Connelly has written some good stuff. He was a crime reporter for the L.A. Times before he created fictional detectives.
I enjoyed the movie The Lincoln Lawyer and thought the book was better though.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently reading Unintended Consequences by John Ross. Borrowed from @Free Trapper.

I need to reread that one. Good read.

I'm doing Audible at work and right now it's the evolutionary history of dogs and how they think. Pretty interesting. Next in line is a book about serial killers and how they are "made". That ought to be an interesting listen.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'm going to re-read (again) AJ Baime's excellent book, Go Like Hell, about Ford going to Europe and beating Ferrari at his own game at LeMans. If you saw the movie Ford vs. Ferrari and wondered what the real story was, this book gives it to you. It's not exceptionally long, but it is very well told. The first time I "read" it I was listening to the Audible version of it while I was installing a Roadmaster Active Suspension on my truck, and I kept finding myself sitting and listening to it instead of working.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Norman Schwarzkoph's (sp?) biography is a great read...I haven't read much in years now, but used to read quite a bit. Haven't read much fiction in a LONG time, but when I did it was usually stuff from Twain, London or Steinbeck, etc. I got to where I only read military books, usually written by the guys themselves.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
@clintbailey ,If you haven’t read this, it’s a great read. It was very interesting. I think I finished it in three sittings.
A58B59E1-5D3A-4009-9367-9DB7BED6F772.jpeg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@clintbailey ,If you haven’t read this, it’s a great read. It was very interesting. I think I finished it in three sittings.
View attachment 215079
That's a pretty good book. That book is also the reason that Jack Carr submits his Terminal List novels to DoD for review and why they have a bunch of "redacted" parts. Owen got some really bad advice from an attorney and published No Easy Day without submitting it for review, and the DoD came down on him like a ton of bricks; IIRC, the DoD ended up getting all of the money from its publication in exchange for Owen not being prosecuted.

Carr read a pre-publication version of the book, not knowing that it wasn't going through DoD clearance, and the investigators tried to jump on him with both feet over that. Between that and his prior experiences with NCIS (I think it's fair to say that he's not their biggest fan), he decided that he'd skip that in the future and submits his novels for clearance out of an abundance of caution.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got to where I only read military books, usually written by the guys themselves.
You might take a look at Fred Burton's Beirut Rules, which is nominally about the kidnapping and death of the CIA station chief in Beirut, William F. Buckley (not to be confused with conservative icon William F. Buckley, Jr, who was also with the CIA), back in the '80s, but more broadly about the rise of Hezbollah and the intersection of Iranian, Syrian, Israeli, and American interests in that area. Burton was in the State Department's security forces, and was assigned to the US Embassy in Beirut not long after terrorists blew it up.

In some ways, it's very hard to read (there was a lot of sheer incompetence on the American side), but it does give some insight on what's been happening in the region, and how the CIA has changed, over the last 40 years.

Also, it shows, as the authors of the book put it, nation states do not forgive and they do not forget...

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might take a look at Fred Burton's Beirut Rules, which is nominally about the kidnapping and death of the CIA station chief in Beirut, William F. Buckley (not to be confused with conservative icon William F. Buckley, Jr, who was also with the CIA), back in the '80s, but more broadly about the rise of Hezbollah and the intersection of Iranian, Syrian, Israeli, and American interests in that area. Burton was in the State Department's security forces, and was assigned to the US Embassy in Beirut not long after terrorists blew it up.

In some ways, it's very hard to read (there was a lot of sheer incompetence on the American side), but it does give some insight on what's been happening in the region, and how the CIA has changed, over the last 40 years.

Also, it shows, as the authors of the book put it, nation states do not forgive and they do not forget...
I'm not naive enough to think we're the most compotent intelligence country in the world, so no worries there LOL. And the good part of Stormin' Norman's book is how it shows his childhood and how it formed his knowledge of the middle east...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another good read is Clint Romesha's Red Platoon, which is his accounting of the events surrounding the attack on Command Outpost Keating that culminated in Romesha being awarded the Medal of Honor. Jake Tapper's version was made into the movie The Outpost, but I'd rather read the version told by "the guy."

It's not just his account of what Romesha did, but of the events that led up to the attack, what the rest of his platoon was doing, and even what was happening behind the scenes to keep them alive. It covers the F15 pilot who, after expending all of his ordinance, took over C&C of the air assets to coordinate the layers of airborne defense stack from the low-flying helicopter gunships up to the high-altitude B1 bomber, as well as the gunship pilot who figured out, based on damage to his bird, where the AA guns were hidden, and the B1 crew who knocked the hell out of the hills around COP Keating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom