Boom! Drew a NM Elk Tag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol, these aren't whitetail. Huge animals. The gut pile from a big one weighs as much as a big deer in Ok.
I hope you look and prepare for a huge amount of work getting one out, taking friends and equipment to help get it out.
Since you have a vacation home there, you will know the effects of altitude on climbing and getting one out.
Congrats again, and good luck.

Well...I am certainly aware of the main difficulties (always looking for pointers though)and have a few connections out there for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You don't have to gut them. I know more people now who don't that do and are still able to get the tenderloins too. Pretty much how I do doe on the tailgate if it's too warm to hang. Probably several how to on youtube.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You don't have to gut them. I know more people now who don't that do and are still able to get the tenderloins too. Pretty much how I do doe on the tailgate if it's too warm to hang. Probably several how to on youtube.
He's spot on.. dont even mess with the guts, or pack out bones..go gutless and bone them out in the field. Congrats on drawing the tag!

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I highly recommend tag bomb (boned out meat bags) for any game especially elk. They're synthetic reusable and tough as hell. Light as well. Gutless and boned out is the best way to go. Aron Snyder has a good video on YouTube on the process.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom