BOOM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had the privilege of touring the USS Alabama battleship. Sadly, while here in Rhode Island, we are close to Fall River, Massachusetts and Battleship Cove where the USS Massachusetts and a few other naval vessels are on display, but my knees probably wouldn't let me do much touring.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I toured the USS Missouri in Honolulu. It was incredible!

DSCN3288.JPG
DSCN3291.JPG
DSCN3295.JPG
DSCN3297.JPG
DSCN3299.JPG
DSCN3308.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3312.JPG
    DSCN3312.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 1

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think about the age of our B-52 bombers. I'm sure they are cheaper to operate.

Actually they are cheaper to operate than any other bomber in the fleet and have benefited from constant upgrade programs . The B1 , and B2 are incredibly expensive to maintain in an operational status.

There is a good reason the USAF cliche says the last BONE crew will ride home on a B52 . The BUFF was designed and engineered sorta like those battle wagons overbuilt to withstand a massive amount of punishment from use and combat . What is funny is that now days we literally couldn't build those planes if we had to the cost would be too great and sadly thanks to Papa Bush we cut up hundreds of them that should have been kept in reserve .

The Battle Ships weren't nearly as useful as the B52 has been to the United States on the cost / benefit ledger

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think we should have a few in service even if we have to build new. Maybe an updated Montana class with two twin 16" forward and missile launchers rear. Replace half the 5 inch with AA missile launchers and the other half with modern 5 inch, the 40s with Goalkeeper CIWS and the 20s with rolling frame missiles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom