Bore Snakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What brand of Bore Snake do you like? Why? Do use them in the field only or at home? How are you keeping them clean and functional?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hoppe's are the ones I have used.
I will take them when I am trying different loads at the range and pull through a few times between different loads before I shoot another group.
I do not use them as a substitute for a good cleaning with a quality rod and jags.

I have never put solvents or oils on my bore snakes so they stay pretty clean.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like my boresnakes.
When I bought my first .243 WSSM upper in 2008, the barrel guy recommended 200 rounds to break it in. One snake with brownells bore cleaner after every third shot and then three swabs with a clean snake.
Since Obama made office that year, you can see what ammo prices were and there was not brass at that time to reload. $2 a shot.
I didn't see one iota of difference in my group size from beginning to end.
Now I call BS on barrel break in process.
Maybe a few rounds to swab out the machining burrs if there is any and roll on. CNC machining has made a revolution in machining practices and quality.
Broke in a few barrels in my lifetime and none have needed a break in.

All that being said, I still like my boresnakes. Makes the barrel shiny and clean.

Latest posts

Top Bottom