Bought 1999 ford ranger . How do I tell 3ol from 4ol engine ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually the 4 L v-6 wasn't very common. The 3 v-6 L was the most common engine. I had a 99 explorer which had 3 engine options. A 4 l ohv v6, a 4 litera sohc v6 and a 5 liter v8. Mine had the 4.0 liter sohc. When I had to get parts many aftermarket providers like pep boys or auto zone were difficult to get parts at, the boxes quite frequently were mismarked. The ranger was similar, but had different options, the 2.3 liter i4, the 3.0 liter v6 and 4.0 liter overhead valve v6. I believe the 4 liter was a 90 degree v6, while the 3 liter was a 60 degree v6, making it more narrow. As suggested, the Vin number is the best way, assuming no one has swapped out the motor. Had a ranger, it had the 4 cylinder, not a bad vehicle and solidly built, got great gas mileage. I may be wrong, but I do not think you could get a manual transmission with the 4 liter v6.
My first vehicle was a 1997 Ford ranger with the 2.3. Gutless wonder that would hardly do 80 downhill with a tail wind.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My first vehicle was a 1997 Ford ranger with the 2.3. Gutless wonder that would hardly do 80 downhill with a tail wind.
Well according to the left lane Karens that is plenty fast enough !! Slow down ya lawless rabble rouser. Sheesh , you ford guys are outa control!! :cool:

Latest posts

Top Bottom