Bought A Scrapped Watch For Parts From eBay - Got A Big Surprise!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with everybody else, please keep posting pics etc. It's great to see somebody enjoy a hobby as you are doing. Also count me in line when you start taking on outside work. I have an old Seiko that a good friend got for me in Japan when he was stationed there. Hasn't worked in years but I really liked the watch.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate the kind words. I've got a few done since my last post on the subject. When I get home (and if I can remember) I'll take a couple of pictures. Unfortunately since I was not planning on uploading anything to OSA, I did not document their restorations. I have more in front of me that I haven't started on yet (I went a little nuts on eBay this past month), and I'll make an effort to take photos and document the process on those.

@Chris Duncan and @skyhawk1, depending on the type of watches that you would like looked at, I may be able to help. It will depend on the type of watch that it is. I've only just begun taking courses on chronograph repair, and I'm not prepared to take on any watch projects with that complication yet (I haven't forgotten @Snattlerake!). There are a few other complications that I have not attempted yet, such as a GMT or moon-phase (although a moon-phase shouldn't be too difficult). If you would like to PM me a photo or two of your watches I can let you know if it is something within my ability. Thanks!

@jakeman, I haven't forgotten about your old pocket watch either. A detailed inspection would be needed, and depending on whether or not it needs any parts, they can sometimes be difficult to source. Those older pocket watches pre-date shock protection, so broken balance staff pivots are a common point of failure. I have an old brass dial Hamilton pocket watch that I've been trying to find a balance staff for since July. I am at a point that I feel comfortable taking in certain projects. With yours in particular, I'd need to open it up and inspect it thoroughly to find out if any parts are needed, or if it only needs a thorough service. Those old lubricants (usually animal based) over time will gum up and turn into a paste, locking up a watch in quick order. Several old watches I've worked on didn't work simply due to the lubricants inside being far too old, and it just needing a good cleaning and re-lubrication. Feel free to reach out if you are still interested. I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom