Bought A Scrapped Watch For Parts From eBay - Got A Big Surprise!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to TRY and see if I can find a crystal on EBay- fyi - pic ..think worth the effort 🤷‍♂️ I GUESS the model # is 5M62-0BA0 - I’m going to google, but is that consistent with Seiko #’s.. or keep looking.. 🤷‍♂️
(I’m also curious what the championship was for 🤔)
1662481515352.png

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to TRY and see if I can find a crystal on EBay- fyi - pic ..think worth the effort 🤷‍♂️ I GUESS the model # is 5M62-0BA0 - I’m going to google, but is that consistent with Seiko #’s.. or keep looking.. 🤷‍♂️
(I’m also curious what the championship was for 🤔)
View attachment 300845
5M62 is the movement model, 0BA0 is the case number.

The factory Seiko part number for the crystal in your watch is: 300P03HN02

There might be some aftermarket options available if you can't find a NOS part, but that should help you in your search. The challenge will be to get an aftermarket crystal, generally one would need to remove the original to see how it mounts. Seiko uses a few different mounting types, and depending on which one it has, you might be able to find a replacement.

Last edited:

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

There might be some aftermarket options available if you can't find a NOS part, but that should help you in your search. The challenge will be to get an aftermarket crystal, generally one would need to remove the original to see how it mounts. Seiko uses a few different mounting types, and depending on which one it has, you might be able to find a replacement.
Here’s a good back shot.. I just did a quick search on EBay- lots of Seiko’s but no identical..

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See if this comes through.. too large..

thanks, I’m looking.. got the model right, but my pic too large to upload..

gunnut918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good looking work. I’ll get in line. I have three quartz movement Seiko watches. One of them I bought in 1980, I think. One later in 80s and one is Railroad Approved that my mother gave me around then. It was used and stem was broken. Other language on one looks to be Arabic. Other two don’t move. If you open shop or just get bored, let me know. Haven’t worn wristwatch in years but would like these to work.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, it sounds like a lot of these watches that you all are needing a bit of work done on are within my wheelhouse. Please send me a PM we'll can see if I help you out. I can't make any promises, but if I can get some basic info off of the watch and a brief explanation of what the problems are, I'll do a little digging on potential parts availability. Doing the actual work won't be much of an issue. Sourcing needed parts would be my only concern. I'll gladly take a look at whatever you'd like, but will have to investigate each one a little bit before I can confirm whether or not I will be able to fix it.

If you are needing a Seiko looked at (which seem to be my specialty right now, lol), please send me a photo, and the XXXX-XXXX code off of the back of the watch. That XXXX-XXXX number will tell me the movement and case model, and is what I need to look up parts availability.

Thanks,
Adam

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll stop posting up pics of all the watches I've been working on. I feel like I've been talking about those more than I've been talking about anything else lately. However, since this one was well documented on the forum I thought I'd at least show a pic now that it has been completed.

The replacement crystal, hour hand, and minute hand finally arrived from the UK, and I was fortunate enough to pick up some vintage tools from a fellow OSA member yesterday afternoon. I got a few additional things done with the new tools that will make the watch run a bit more efficient (quite frankly it is better now than when it came of the production line), and finished up with a bit of case work. I got wrapped up in the project and lost track of time tonight, only realizing after I finished that it was creeping up on 3AM! Time flies I suppose.

I sanded out nearly all of the scratches in the case, but some of the deeper ones are still visible. I didn't want to get too aggressive with it. I suppose getting rid of all the scratches makes the watch lose a bit of it's character. After getting most of the smaller scratches out I put a quick polish on the case, cleaned it, and did final assembly on the watch. Here's the before and after:

Before:
1663487763337.png

1663488550890.png

After:
1663487777341.png

I brushed the caseback, but the 'From 1976 State Champs' engraving is still visible. I'm thinking I probably should've left it polished. Either way it looks good and can always be polished again if my OCD gets the better of me.
1663488036135.png

It turned out pretty good for a non-functioning $30 eBay watch, about $30 in parts (aside from what I had on hand already), and several hours of labor. It's got a much higher grade movement now, keeps very accurate time, and will run without the need for service for the next 8-10 years.

Last edited:

Chris Duncan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a watch that we found in my wife's grandmother's house after she passed that I'd like you to look at when you have a chance. Its a mechanical that I'd like to get running good again.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll stop posting up pics of all the watches I've been working on. I feel like I've been talking about those more than I've been talking about anything else lately. However, since this one was well documented on the forum I thought I'd at least show a pic now that it has been completed.

Please don't. Please continue with the different watches and watches in progress.

Latest posts

Top Bottom